Epson 9900 VM cart not recognized

Epson 9900, tried two replacement chips I have. Every time it starts to print I need to remove and reinsert cart. Every time, consistently. Tried banging edge of cart in case air bubble issue. No issues with all other carts.

Of course I have a 20 print order in and it faults out between each print. Going to be a long day on Tuesday.

This is very strange, and I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing this chip problem (especially when you need to make a bunch of prints!)

After reviewing your order history, I see you’re using the 350ml internal bag model carts, correct? Do you have the carts wedged towards the left, or have they been working for you (other than this pesky VM) without wedging? If you’ve tried the two replacement VM chips you have, then I’m wondering if it may be a physical fit issue causing your reoccurring VM error. When did this start happening? Is the cart recognized if you just open and close the right cartridge bay door, or do you need to remove and reinsert the cart? Does the cart continue working during the print, then give an error before starting the next print job you send?

Please let me know so I can help.
Thanks~ Dana

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;3898]This is very strange, and I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing this chip problem (especially when you need to make a bunch of prints!)

After reviewing your order history, I see you’re using the 350ml internal bag model carts, correct? >Yes

Do you have the carts wedged towards the left, or have they been working for you (other than this pesky VM) without wedging? >They have been working fine, no wedging required

If you’ve tried the two replacement VM chips you have, then I’m wondering if it may be a physical fit issue causing your reoccurring VM error. When did this start happening? >After a cart refill and chip reset

Is the cart recognized if you just open and close the right cartridge bay door, or do you need to remove and reinsert the cart? >I just have to open and close the ink bay door

Does the cart continue working during the print, then give an error before starting the next print job you send? >Yes, it works all the way through the print

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Mark

After watching the cycle it goes through with these 20 prints today it might be a pressure issue with that cart. It seems to fail the very second you hear the pressure pump trying to charge the dampers to start printing. Open the ink bay door door, close the ink bay door and it continues on to printing, I assume thinking it now has proper pressure. Just a guess from my end.

Dana, can I try a replacement cart? Not sure what other options I have.

Dana, can I try a replacement cart? Not sure what other options I have. :frowning:

Sorry for not responding sooner, I was out of the office yesterday.

It’s puzzling that you’ve been having good results with this VM cartridge for the past +/- year, if it were a physical fit issue with the cartridge, I would expect it to have been an issue since the beginning… I see you have bought a few VM carts over the years, do you still have any of the others? I think it may be worth trying the paper wedge to push carts to the left, and have actually experienced one cartridge causing an error with a different cartridge, so replacing the cartridge displaying the error doesn’t necessarily resolve the issue. Are you familiar with the paper wedge trick for these carts?

Please let me know so I can help, thanks~ Dana

I tried the wedge thing and it does not help at all, no matter where I try the wedge(s).

I really do NOT think it is a incorrect alignment issue, I think it is a pressure issue. I put an Epson cart in and it works just fine. Since this VM cart faults out before each print (when it first starts its head damper fill) I think the open and close of the ink bay door without even having to touch the ink cart, is letting the pressure get past the first mili-second of some fault that happens. The other thing I noticed is with this VM cart in I can hear the pressure pump cycle every 30 seconds or so when the printer is idle. That goes away with insertion of Epson cart. So if I can get another cart to try that should work. As far as my past history with VM carts, perhaps its my machine (bad seal to cart) or just the properties of VM ink that “fatigues” these carts, you guys would know better.

Thanks for the additional information Mark. The fact that your printer is frequently pressurizing with this VM cart installed, and doesn’t when you install the Epson VM cart does indicate a pressure issue with this cart. I will have a replacement cart sent to you right away.

Please let me know if you have questions, your results with the new cart, or if there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks Dana! Will let you know how it goes.

You are very welcome, please do keep me posted!

The replacement VM cart you receive will be a new model 350ml (non-bag) cart. Instructions for this model cartridge can be found here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.A/id.7697/.f?sc=11&category=46857 under the instruction tab.

All the best~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thank you! Have a great weekend.

Thanks, you as well! :slight_smile:

Got new cart. issue went away, happy boy!

Excellent- I’m happy to hear the new cart is working well, and your problem is resolved!

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: