Epson 9900 VLM blocked

Hi,

I recently inherited an Epson 9900. It worked fine at first, but the VLM channel has become blocked. I have cleaned it per the videos, replaced the wiper, soaked the front with Piezo Flush for a day and installed a cartridge with just Piezo Flush for two days and it has only gotten worth. I am wondering if it is a delaminated print head and whether it is worth trying to replace the head or just convert it to B&W only. A new head seems to cost around $1500. If I convert it to B&W only, I am looking for suggestions of which system for B&W prints, Digital Negatives and Polymer plates. I have also attached a recent nozzle check.

Thanks,

Greg

This looks de-laminated to me,.

Piezography Pro will work with a re-map of LM to Orange and not using any of the K5 Warm/Neutral curves (only K4).

best,
Walker

Thanks Walker, just to be clear, I would buy all the inks except for Warm: Very Light? The rest of the channels seem ok, but I am also concerned that the rest of the channels might start to fail.

Also before I go though the expense of changing inks, should I replace the dampers. I am not sure how much it was used before.

Thanks,

Greg

hmm, if all other inks are flowing ok, don’t change dampers. do the switch with the right cover off. You will see ink flowing from the purge vacuum into the waste ink tank. If you see it not going, that tells you dampers are bad and you need to replace both dampers/cleaning-assembly together. But you are probably ok.