Epson 9800 Magenta Channel Completely Missing

Following a bi-weekly cart agitation two weeks ago all Magenta channel nozzles were blocked. After performing numerous printer test prints and deep cycle maintenance cleanings problem still persisted. Swapped in PiezoFlush cartridges and the same after letting set a number of days and numerous deep cycle maintenance cleanings - no Magenta nozzles printing. It appears that Magenta ink is ~ 1/2 back the feed tube from of the capping station but PiezoFlush appears to be in the rest of the line leading from the cartridge. Obviously the remaining Magenta ink is not being pushed through to the heads let alone the flush. Possible air in the line or faulty capping station?

Hi Shridere~

My first thought is dampers, when (if ever) were they last replaced? Have any other parts such as the wiper blade, capping station, pump, flushing box and/or print head ever been replaced? If so, about how long ago?
The reason I think/ask this is because magenta and yellow pigment inks are always the thickest colors (due to the natural pigments used, and is true with all pigment inks), so restricted flow due to particle build up in the dampers will often show in these two positions first, indicating the dampers need to be replaced. I recommend you read our article on printer maintenance, which you can find here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?133-Printer-Cleaning-and-Preventative-Maintenance, and if it’s been 3 or more years since your printer has been serviced with new parts, I suggest replacing parts as outlined in our printer maintenance article.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have questions or there’s anything further I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks Dana. I performed most of your suggested parts replacement when I changed over to K7 inks on the 7600 so I am familiar with the process. Will use your parts suggestion.

You are very welcome! I think the 7800/9800 and 7880/9880 printers are easier to work on compared to the 7600/9600, so if you’ve already had experience working on your 7600, I expect you’ll have no problems working on your 9800. Please do keep me posted though, and let me know how things go, or if there’s anything else I can help you with.

All the best~ Dana :slight_smile:

Dana,

Replacing the damper solved the problem. Thank you. I went ahead and replaced all 8 since I was already into it. Not too bad, like you said easier than the 7600. I also cleaned the wiper and gasket around the capping station with Piezoflush as well.

Fantastic- thanks for letting me know, and I’m glad to hear your printer is working well again after replacing these parts!

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: