Epson 7890 not recognizing VLM cart

I purchased 3 refillable carts.
The first 2 (Cyan, Magenta) filled perfectly and were recognized.
The 3rd (VLM) filled but will not be recognized. I changed the chip I was sent but it still doesn’t recognize the cartridge.
It gives the panel message, “Ink Cartridge Error - Replace Cartidge” I noticed the cartridge with the first chip showed an “X-vlm” with the error message.
After changing the chip it now only shows “X” along with the error message.
Just to make sure I used the chip resetter and it gave the green light showing the reset complete.
I notice the cartidges are different in these cartidges compared to Epson (which uses a bladder) as the ink is visible throughout the cartidge.
Do the newest cartridges use a bladder system?

I’ve tried raising the cartridge using a paper shim under the cartridge but no luck.

Any ideas ??

Hi Don~

I’m sorry to hear you’re having problems with your printer not recognizing the VLM refill cart, even after replacing the chip and adding a paper shim under the cart. Have you tried pushing the VLM refill cart towards the left, after locking it into the cartridge bay? After installing the VLM cart, is the back of the cart at the same level as other carts (on the white line)?
Do you still have an Epson VLM cartridge? If so, please install the Epson VLM cart to see how the printer responds.

The latest model refill carts do not have an internal ink bladder like Epson carts, but are designed with the main body to hold ink and a special air pressurization system. The only way a printer “sees” a cartridge or knows how much ink remains is by the reading the cartridge chip, so if a cartridge chip and printer’s chip sensor don’t have a good connection, a chip is bad or not correctly attached to the cart, or the printer’s chip sensor is bent/damaged, an error will be displayed. Different errors mean different things, so the message you’re currently seeing makes me think the chip and sensor don’t have a good connection (it’s possible, but highly unlikely that both VLM chips are bad).

Please let me know, so I can help resolve this issue and get you back to happily printing.
Warmly~ Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;6391]Hi Don~

I’m sorry to hear you’re having problems with your printer not recognizing the VLM refill cart, even after replacing the chip and adding a paper shim under the cart. Have you tried pushing the VLM refill cart towards the left, after locking it into the cartridge bay? After installing the VLM cart, is the back of the cart at the same level as other carts (on the white line)?
Do you still have an Epson VLM cartridge? If so, please install the Epson VLM cart to see how the printer responds.

The latest model refill carts do not have an internal ink bladder like Epson carts, but are designed with the main body to hold ink and a special air pressurization system. The only way a printer “sees” a cartridge or knows how much ink remains is by the reading the cartridge chip, so if a cartridge chip and printer’s chip sensor don’t have a good connection, a chip is bad or not correctly attached to the cart, or the printer’s chip sensor is bent/damaged, an error will be displayed. Different errors mean different things, so the message you’re currently seeing makes me think the chip and sensor don’t have a good connection (it’s possible, but highly unlikely that both VLM chips are bad).

Please let me know, so I can help resolve this issue and get you back to happily printing.
Warmly~ Dana :)[/QUOTE]

I replaced the nearly empty 150 ML cart with one made by Epson. Before inserting it, I reset the chip using the resetter I received from you. Mistake, I think… I then got a message “Insert correct cart”. I then reset the Epson cart using a resetter I used for the 150 ML Epson carts. Now, when I insert the Epson cart the error message is "No Cartidge - Install Ink Cartridge. The Panel also now shows “X - VLM” . Apparently, the chip reader is working.
Everything is lined up and I tried the tips you gave for adjusting the position of the cart…

When I changed the chip on the refillable cart you sent, the back pin of the chip doesn’t fit correctly. It seems to want to raise back up and not fit the hole correctly. There is no way to use a double-sided tape to hold it down. I used Scotch single sided “Magic Tape” to hold it down but it shouldn’t require that.

I believe a new VLM cart is the next step to try.

Actually, getting the “NO cartridge” error after installing the Epson VLM cart is not a good sign… that could mean the chip sensor is damaged, since the printer isn’t recognizing a cart is installed. The correct message I’d expect from installing an empty Epson cart is “cartridge empty, replace cartridge”. If the original chip on your VLM cart wasn’t working correctly for whatever reason, then you replaced the chip, but the new chip wasn’t flat/flush on the cart before installing into the printer, this could have damaged the thin sensor wires…

If you get the same “NO cartridge” message when installing the Epson VLM cart or any refill cart into the VLM channel, this generally means the sensor is damaged (in which case, it needs to be replaced). To check the sensor in your VLM channel, remove the VLM and neighboring LLK cart, then look at the far back/top of the cartridge chamber, as shown in the photo below. The VLM sensor should look exactly as the LLK sensor (close up photo attached), but if any of the wires are bent or missing, this would explain why carts aren’t being recognized in this channel.

Please keep me posted on what you discover.
~Dana

uploaded for Jim!

The above graphic shows the “Light Light Black” and “Vivid Light Magenta” sensors on my Epson 7890 Printer. The “Light Light Black” cartridge works just fine. (It is an Epson cart)

I purchased another VLM cartridge and filled it with ink.

The printer doesn’t recognize the Inkjetmall cartridge at all.

When I put an Epson cart into the printer, sometimes it will recognize it as a VLM cartridge and sometimes not.

It always gives the message there is no cartridge recognized and replace cartridge

Excellent, your sensors look in good condition, and aren’t damaged (it’s good to rule that out).

The fact that your printer responds differently sometimes when you install the Epson cart makes me wonder if there is something going on with the printer or physical cartridge chamber and fit of the cartridge in that chamber.
When it doesn’t recognize the Epson cart, do you get the same “NO cart” error as when you install the refill cart?
Have you tried pushing the refillable VLM cart towards the left of the bay, after locking it into the cartridge chamber?
Are all other refill carts being recognized correctly/easily?
Please try adding a thin paper wedge under the VLM cartridge to push the cart up slightly, in case the issue is due to not having a good connection between the cart chip and printer’s chip sensor.
Please also look down the cartridge chamber, and examine the little metal arm with ball on top (this is what locks cart in)- is the VLM locking lever at the same height as others?

Keep me posted so I can help you get back to happily printing.
Warmly~ Dana

Dana,

I tried all of the things you suggested but nothing works.

I bought a new Epson VLM cartridge and installed it into the color cartridge bay.
The panel shows “No Cartidge - Install Ink Cartridge” but yet recognizes it as a VLM cartridge as it should.
There are the flashing letters “X VLM” vertically under the above message.

Any new ideas ??

Based on how your printer is responding, it sounds like a damaged or faulty chip sensor in your VLM channel, although the photo of your chip sensor looks good…
Have you shut down the printer, and/or pushed the carts towards the left in the cartridge bay?

I’m not sure what else to suggest… your experience is very strange!

~Dana

I am having the same problem with the VLM and only the VLM cart, never another. Even after replacing the cart (new Cone Cart) then troubleshooting with the old Epson cart, the same problem occurs. After removing and re-inserting the cart, the problem goes away.

I seem to get the error both after inserting a sheet of paper and just as the printing process starts. After opening the right cover and re-inserting the cart, the printing continues.

My chip sensor is properly seared and resetting the chip does not solve the problem.

Thankfully, this is an annoying but a non-catastrophic problem. Could the vacuum seating be the culprit?

I don’t think the vacuum seating is a culprit. I think it’s actually the ink bay.

The Epson Wide Format forum (at groups.io) has various amounts of discussion on this topic (primarily with OEM carts but same difference).

-Walker