Epson 7890 Installer not working

Good Afternoon Walker,
It is not looking good for us to Skype as I do not have internet access directly in my workshop area (I am writing from a nearby office).
Perhaps I can document what I am looking at and perhaps we can get somewhere.

PhotoShop is off.

Print Tool 1.1.0
Printer: Quad 7890
File: Open
Image shows up on grid.
Print Color Management: No Color Management
Auto 8/16 bit

Page Setup > Settings: Page Attributes
Format for: Quad 7890-QuadtoneRIP 2.7.7 Epson 7890
Print > Printer: Quad 7890
Presets: Default settings
Mode: Quad Tone 8-bit
Curve 1: UCmk-EpsEnhMatte-Coolse
Nothing else is changed by me on this screen. After pressing Print button, I end up with a pink print.

Under System Preferences on my iMac:
Printers & Scanners
Default printer - Quad 7890 (Quad Tone RIP 2.7.7 Epson 7890)

I have the QTR Curve View for 7890-9890 EpsonEnhMatte.qual. What do you do with this? Is it for reference only? Is it part of an instruction process?

One problem with Epson 7890: Machine says my level of Light Magenta (Selenium Shade #5, slot #9) is only at 19%, but when I removed the cartridge for visual inspection, it looked as if a lot more than 19% was in there.

That’s where I am at.
Thanks,
Richard

You are using the wrong CURVE. See the UCmk? That means ultra chrome ink (oem ink). You need to use a K7 curve!! These can be downloaded from the Piezography website. http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/technical-support/epson-7890-9890-installation/

Please read all instructions before just using.

best,
Walker

In the original QuadToneRIP folder > Profiles
7890-9890-UC is the only option. K7 shows up only for 7880-9880.

Downloaded Quad7890-9890-K7 folder
Clicked on Install7890-K7.command
Received message - ALERT! QuadToneRIP does not support printer 7890.

In Print Tool, Quad7890 is the extent of the name, no -K7.

Still unexplained why my #9 ink cartridge reads as low on Epson printer when there is plenty of ink in there.

Thanks,
Richard

Put all the K7 curves into the 7890-9890-UC folder and delete all the .txt files from that folder and click the command Install7890.command

This will work. We will be publishing an entirely new master set of curves/installers very shortly at a soon-to-be-relaunched: piezography.com

best,
Walker

Hello Walker,
Well at last I was able to get a test print that looked as expected. A little dark perhaps but reasonable and a step towards success.
Question 1: Asked before but please advise as to why my #9 cartridge (VLM) reads as being 17% full when actual observation shows it to have a lot more than that - comparable to other cartridges that have full percentages in the 70’s.
Question 2: For my final prints I will be using Somerset Photo - Satin 100% cotton - Bright White paper. I did not see a curve for this. Is there one that is comparable? On their ICC Profiles page they did not have the 7890 printer.
http://inveresk.co.uk/st-cuthberts-mill-paper/somerset-photo/index.asp
Thanks again,
Richard

These cartridges are built to need topping off: aka, they will reset more often than actually needed due to wanting to be on the safe side of ink content in the carts.

But also the way epson carts work is that the last few bars of the cartridge indicator on the printer stands for more ink than the first few bars. This way epson can blink near empty for a long time enough to nag you to get a new cartridge in-line. (Most people don’t see this because epson carts are opaque).

//

Try the moab curves. This UK paper may actually simply be a rebranded moab.

best,
Walker

Walker, I am back.

Fixed problem somewhat with #9 tank. Reset chip. Tank now reads as being almost completely full on bar graph. Better than shown as near empty but not confident this is correct reading either.

Followed your instructions: Put all the K7 curves into the 7890-9890-UC folder and delete all the .txt files from that folder and click the command Install7890.command.

Getting prints but appearance is not satisfactory. Overall appearance is darker than expected. Some gray areas look posterized. Tried using different curves but results all look similar.

Changed mode of B&W files from Dot Gain 20% to Gray Gamma 2.2. Some improvement but not much.

Stickler remains that contrary to the Install Procedures, 7890-K7 does not appear, just the 7890.

When I look under the printer name, there is no K7 next to Quad Tone RIP, as the illustration showed in the manual. Tried attaching pictures to this message, uncertain if successful.

The curve you are currently using is very very old and Roy will actually be taking out of the next QTR release.

We will be publishing all new curves at the relaunched piezography.com soon but there is also a full set there, it’s just hard to find. For now, here is a slightly more complete archive:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4gHbc7Tg9-SMFVEMi1vU3hBc2M&usp=sharing#list

The NU, SEL, and CAR profiles are the newest.

best,
Walker

Walker,
I think I will never move again once I get all these bugs out of the system.
I am working with a new computer (27’’ iMac/el capitan os 10.11(? but it is the newest version)…
I have had to reinstall Quad Tone and Print Tool and now the installation isn’t working. I am getting that “Quad Tone doesn’t support the Epson 7890” thing again and the Quad Tone Driver is not visible in the printer list of print tool.
Could you tell me what I must do to get the installation to work?
Sorry to have to go through this again!
Paul

You have messed up a lot of stuff!

Rename your QuadtoneRIP folder “QuadtoneRIP-old”.

Go to “your hard-drive”>Library>Printers>qtr> and delete “quadtone” folder

Delete your printer in system preferences.

Re-install quedtonerip.

Make a new folder in >Applications>QuadtoneRIP>Profiles called “7890”

Copy the install command called Install7890-K7=7890.command from the old folder to the new folder along with the K7 .quad files you want.

Plug the printer in and run the install command.

best,
Walker

There is a new version of Print Tool. Do you know if it can handle the Quad Tone K7 driver directly for the 7890 or must the renaming be done as before?
Paul

Print-Tool 2 will work just perfectly. Same as V 1

-Walker

Sorry. Walker…my question wasn’t clear. My question was: when installing the Quadtone K7 for the Epson 7890, it was necessary to change the name of the installer before launching in Terminal. Will I need to do the same name change when I install in Print Tool 2?
Paul

PrintTool is NOT AT ALL CONNECTED to QuadtoneRIP. It’s a separate application. Rename the installer and see if that works. That is not effected in any way by what version of PrintTool you have. Think of PrintTool as a slightly better version of the Photoshop print window or the Lightroom print-module: entirely different.

Walker

[QUOTE=walkerblackwell;12020]PrintTool is NOT AT ALL CONNECTED to QuadtoneRIP. It’s a separate application. Rename the installer and see if that works. That is not effected in any way by what version of PrintTool you have. Think of PrintTool as a slightly better version of the Photoshop print window or the Lightroom print-module: entirely different.

Walker[/QUOTE]

Walker,
I understand the above. I have done the things that you instructed me to do and once again I get the fact that the 7890 is not supported. The Quad tone k7 driver is not listed in Print tool…I am really sorry to be such a pain but, again, I really wan to get to work…the last time you were kind enough to skype. Is it possible again?Paul

Walker,
If you have some time tomorrow morning -09-27, Tuesday, I would really appreciate your help to resolve this problem. I have gone through it with an engineer! and we haven’t been able to resolve the issues.
I would be very grateful…
Paul

Walker,
Two people have been working for two days trying everything under the sun to make this work and have not been able to do it. We need some help! It is Tuesday, Sept 27 (my birthday, by the way), about noon in Lisbon. Is it possible to have you work some of your magic on this problem via Skype. If you give me a time, I will call you.
I would be very grateful if you can help me out!!!
Paul

Dear Paul. I’m private messaging you shortly.

I really thought you had this working after our initial phone call about half a year ago.

best,
Walker

Yes, it was working but I had to buy a new computer to work in this small printing business I am starting in Lisbon. It is this new computer into which I am trying to install the K7 driver. The printer is the same. It is the computer that is new. If I can’t get this rolling , I will switch my old computer, which is at home with the new one which is in the studio…
Paul

Glad to here you are all set w/ the new community edition (releasing tomorrow).

best,
Walker