Epson 4900 Adjustment Program for Initial Fill Proceedure

I have an Epson 4900 with the VLM ink position completely clogged. I have purchased another set of refillable cartridges and enough Piezoflush to do a flush. I purchased the 4900 Adjustment program from www.2manuals.com. I do have a pc running Windows Vista that I am using for this adjustment program (which I am running in compatibility mode according to directions). When I try to run it I am getting the message “It seems that the printer is not connected, not turned on or not ready.” Seeing that I just ran a test print from the utility program on the same pc it is obviously connected. The ink is low in the LC cartridge, is it possible that this is why I am getting this message? I have not put the piezo flush cartridges in yet because I want to see if this adjustment program will work and if it doesn’t I would like to return the set of refillable cartridges and Piezoflush, in which case I would be junking the printer (seems crazy to do to a printer that is only 18 months old but why spend another $500 if I can’t get the adjustment program to work.

A second question is, if I get the adjustment program to work and do an initial fill flush will I have to do another complete initial fill to then flush the matte black position (photo black) is selected now or just run a black ink change with the piezo flush in place in that position?

Thanks for any help.

I’m sorry, you will need to contact 2manuals for support with the adjustment program. To flush one individual channel (instead of all positions at once, if you’re only having trouble with one channel), you may prefer using QuadTone RIP’s calibration mode, as described here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?144-Print-Ink-Separation-Image-thru-QTR-Calibration-Mode

Information for flushing printers can be found here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?140-Flushing-Epson-Pro-and-desktop-model-printers-for-safe-long-term-storage-or-when-switching-inks
to flush both black lines, you will need to do the initial fill, then a black ink change to flush the second black line.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions or if there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;1476]I’m sorry, you will need to contact 2manuals for support with the adjustment program. To flush one individual channel (instead of all positions at once, if you’re only having trouble with one channel), you may prefer using QuadTone RIP’s calibration mode, as described here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?144-Print-Ink-Separation-Image-thru-QTR-Calibration-Mode

Information for flushing printers can be found here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?140-Flushing-Epson-Pro-and-desktop-model-printers-for-safe-long-term-storage-or-when-switching-inks
to flush both black lines, you will need to do the initial fill, then a black ink change to flush the second black line.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have further questions or if there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :)[/QUOTE]

What is the QuadTone Rip?

1 Like

The QuadTone RIP is Roy Harrongton’s RIP, which is a $50 shareware program and used for making high quality B&W prints, this is what most people use to print with our Piezography K7 inks. The QuadTone RIP has a Calibration Mode feature, which allows you to control an individual channel, and can be a helpful way to flush or change inks in one channel without wasting ink in all channels at once, by following our instructions. If you are experiencing issues with one channel, and all the others are working well, then it would be more efficient and use less ink/flush to work on that individual channel instead of flushing all lines to try cleaning one.

After reviewing your order history, I noticed you purchased a set of refill carts and ConeColor Pro ink for your 4900 in July 2012. Please tell me, when did you begin having issues with the VLM channel? Did the clog start slowly as a few missing nozzles here and there until the entire position was blank, or did it occur suddenly? Did the clog occur during regular printing, or after a period of letting the printer sit unused? How often have you been agitating your carts and using the printer since installing the refill carts and CCP inks? What is the ink level of your VLM cart? Have you verified the air vent hole is open, cartridge contains enough ink, and exit channel is primed with ink for proper flow? Have you done paired regular and/or power cleaning cycles? What is the lot# of ink you’re using (just for my records)? As you may be aware, there are an alarming amount of reports of clogging/flow and other mechanical issues with the 4900 and other newer printer models. We have several people every week who have only ever used Epson inks, contact us for help unclogging their printers- some are successful using our PiezoFlush solution, but some issues are mechanical and not resolved by cleaning.

Please let me know so I can try to help clear this clog and get your 4900 working well again.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Dana, I have QTR now. Should I use inkseparation8.tif or inkseparation10.tif for the 4900? What ink postition on these should I use for VLM (Position 5 on 4900)? Ink 6 is Light Magenta on inkseparation8.tif, and 10. Neither one corresponds to the VLM on the 4900.

Thanks

To work with the VLM/VM position, you can use the VM channel of either the inkseparation 8 or 10 image (the difference is the addition of orange and green in the 10 image).
Are you clear about how to make and print the image, depending on what operating system you’re using?

Please keep me posted, and let me know if you have further questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
~Dana :slight_smile:

Dana, I’m about to try to flush the VLM channel on my 4900 as I have all others running well. I’m not sure of the procedure. I am going to load the VLM refillable cartridge that I have with piezoflush. I want to flush channel 5 of the 4900 (which is VLM). Which patch would I select on the inkseparation8 image? It seems to me that What is called Ink 6 on the inkseparation8 image is the closest to VLM on the 4900. That does not correspond to Channel 5 on the 4900. Ink 5 on the inkseparation8 image is Light Cyan.

If I select Ink 6 (Light Magenta) and make the whole image that would I then just print this using QTR?

Thanks
David Kogan

Dana, I can’t seem to get Photoshop to print using QTR. I feel I have set everything up but it just will not connect to the 4900. Any tips?

Roy Harrington directly supports QTR, but I can quickly give you the basic check list:

1. Install the Quad-4900 printer by double clicking the “install4900.command” located in the Applications> QuadToneRIP> Profiles> 4900 folder. (you will not be able to access QTR without installing the quad printer first)
  2. Select the Quad-4900 printer model in your print driver to access the QuadTone RIP print window.
  3. Follow these instructions for printing thru QTR’s Calibration Mode to flush an individual channel: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?144-Print-Ink-Separation-Image-thru-QTR-Calibration-Mode

Pay no attention to the channel # label, but follow the color labels on the Inkseparation 8 or 10 image to select the exact color that controls the VLM/VM channel.

I hope this helps~ Dana :slight_smile: