Epson 3880 Rear Manual Feeder "Load Error"

Good afternoon,

I’m new to this forum and have just started using the Cone Color inks on my Epson 3880. My question isn’t about the inks they are working out well, rather it’s about paper thicknesses.

It started when I loaded a Hahnemuhle German Etching 8.5x11 sheet in the rear manual feed and it gave me a load error. After many unsuccessful attempts I hit Google for an answer and found that many users were experiencing this issue and were getting all kinds of advice. It ranged on how to hold the paper when feeding it to checking the edges and the list goes on. In my research I came upon a comment on paper thickness and then I searched and located located a spec sheet(this is not in Epson’s user manual) with the following information.

Thickness (ASF) 0.08mm to 0.27mm
Thickness (manual feed front) 1.2mm to 1.5mm
Thickness (manual feed rear) 0.29mm to 0.5mm

So armed with some calipers I measured the thickness of the HFA_German Etching it was .51mm or .01mm thicker than the spec for the manual rear feed. So I moved to the manual front feeder which loaded and successfully printed the image.

Well now comes the question there’s quite a gap in thicknesses from the rear manual feed to the front manual feed, …am I going to experience quality or consistency issues using the front manual feeder for papers over .5mm.

Thank you for reading this post I look forward to any knowledgeable advice.

Cheers :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Roliaz;6722]Good afternoon,

I’m new to this forum and have just started using the Cone Color inks on my Epson 3880. My question isn’t about the inks they are working out well, rather it’s about paper thicknesses.

It started when I loaded a Hahnemuhle German Etching 8.5x11 sheet in the rear manual feed and it gave me a load error. After many unsuccessful attempts I hit Google for an answer and found that many users were experiencing this issue and were getting all kinds of advice. It ranged on how to hold the paper when feeding it to checking the edges and the list goes on. In my research I came upon a comment on paper thickness and then I searched and located located a spec sheet(this is not in Epson’s user manual) with the following information.

Thickness (ASF) 0.08mm to 0.27mm
Thickness (manual feed front) 1.2mm to 1.5mm
Thickness (manual feed rear) 0.29mm to 0.5mm

So armed with some calipers I measured the thickness of the HFA_German Etching it was .51mm or .01mm thicker than the spec for the manual rear feed. So I moved to the manual front feeder which loaded and successfully printed the image.

Well now comes the question there’s quite a gap in thicknesses from the rear manual feed to the front manual feed, …am I going to experience quality or consistency issues using the front manual feeder for papers over .5mm.

Thank you for reading this post I look forward to any knowledgeable advice.

Cheers :)[/QUOTE]

Perhaps rephrasing the question may get me better results;:confused:

Which thick papers have you successfully fed through the “rear manual” feeder?

Also which thick papers have you been successful with on the “front manual” feeder?