Epson 1400 cartridge not recognized

Hi Dana, Jon &Co,

My saga continues, continued from the now-closed thread, “Epson 1400 ink bleed, and cartridge apparently won’t reset”. I ordered a new set of cartridges, a waste ink kit, a cleaning kit, and some light inks to even out my supply. Sadly, upon filling and installing the new yellow cartridge there was no change in the situation; the printer will not recognize the new yellow cartridge.

I have done everything I can think of and have read about to solve this: inspecting and cleaning contacts, removing and replacing ALL cartridges, etc., with no success; the printer will not recognize old or new IJM cartridges nor an empty Epson cartridge. In the process, I have read of many, many Epson users’ experiences of this same kind of problem, with aftermarket and OEM cartridges alike, making me conclude it is likely a fault of the printer itself. As a result, I am leaning toward the glum conclusion that my printer is kaput. I would be considering obtaining another 1400 or 1430 so that my recent purchase of supplies does not go to waste, but frankly, given what I have found in my research, I am concerned that a new one would serve me no longer than my first (about 60 13x19s plus a few hundred b/w documents).

I know you have a lot of 1400s and perhaps also 1430s at IJM. Are they performing more reliably than mine? Do you have any unique tricks to try to revive my wayward printer, or can you reassure me from your experiences that buying a new 1400/1430 will probably work out okay? Thanks in advance for your insights.

Dana can address this better than me. But, if the printer will not recognize one position it is most likely that the pin reader on the printer in the yellow position is either bent, broken or defective. These are about $12 - $18 eacb at Compass Micro and easy to replace in a desktop printer.

Wait for Dana to reply if she thinks otherwise - but a small investment of a new pin reader is worth it. Alternatively, I think if you are careful you can swap the yellow with another position and see if the problem follows the pin reader. If it does not - then the electronics further up the line become expensive.

THey are extremely fragile…so be careful if you attempt the swap.

The 1400s and 1430s we run in R&D and in special projects are really very dependable.

[QUOTE=jon;757]Dana can address this better than me. But, if the printer will not recognize one position it is most likely that the pin reader on the printer in the yellow position is either bent, broken or defective. These are about $12 - $18 eacb at Compass Micro and easy to replace in a desktop printer.

Wait for Dana to reply if she thinks otherwise - but a small investment of a new pin reader is worth it. Alternatively, I think if you are careful you can swap the yellow with another position and see if the problem follows the pin reader. If it does not - then the electronics further up the line become expensive.

THey are extremely fragile…so be careful if you attempt the swap.

The 1400s and 1430s we run in R&D and in special projects are really very dependable.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Jon. It is encouraging to know there are replacement parts available that might solve the problem. I have inspected the pin reader contacts diligently and can see no problems with alignment, surface flaws, or deformation. They appear identical in every way to the adjacent black station’s contacts. Having already tried swapping-in known functional cartridges during my troubleshooting adventures, I am convinced that it is the printer’s yellow station that is at fault. If Dana concurs, I will check out a replacement pin reader from Compass Micro.

Hi Don~

If your printer is not recognizing three different carts in the yellow position, then I suspect the Y position chip sensor is damaged or not working correctly (but it could be an electrical problem- that wouldn’t be fixed by replacing the chip sensor), even though you have examined the sensor and don’t see anything obviously wrong with it. You can try replacing the chip sensor in the Y position, though I just checked and they are not available thru CompassMicro, nor are they listed on the expanded diagram. I have stripped some useable parts from dead printers over the years, and have a few chip sensors from a 1400 printer. If you pay for shipping, I would be happy to send you a new sensor to try in hopes it will make your printer able to recognize the yellow cart(s). Please note there are no instructions for replacing this sensor, though I can send you a quick photo and brief instruction, we do not support working on your own printer, nor can we be blamed if the new sensor doesn’t fix the problem, or you damage your printer in the process. If you understand this and would like to try the new sensor, let me know what shipping speed you’d like, and I’l get it out in the mail.

Let me know~ Dana :slight_smile: