Eizo Soft Proofing

I’m sorry if this question is posted elsewhere - I just cant seem to find it.

I’ve seen the Q & A here
http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?127-FAQ-Color-Management

And this post
http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/showthread.php?136-Monitor-soft-proof-profiles-for-carbon-inkset

What I need to do is make an eizo display look just like a piezography print. So if anyone has some numbers that I can use in the eizo software or can instruct me on how to get those numbers, that would be great!

Here is our setup:
Editing computer osx 10.8 (has eizo monitor attached)
Prining computer osx 10.6 - using the new QTR with Piezography Profile
Piezography Carbon inks on a epson 9800
Hahnemuhle Torchon paper

The prints look fine, its just a matter of getting the eizo to look the same as the prints

Just FYI:
I have made Photoshop icc soft proofing profiles by printing the test pattern and scanning etc. (these don’t look all that great either)
we have an xrite color munki for display calibration and print spot scanning.

Hi Kyle~

To calibrate a monitor for Piezography print purposes, we recommend the following settings:
White Point temperature= 5000K (AKA D50)
Brightness= 80
Gamma 2.2

Previewing your image with a soft proof that is specific to the Piezography ink and paper you’re using, with “simulate paper white” checked ON, and viewing on a well calibrated display should give you a very close match to your Piezography print output.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth, and Dana or Jon may like to chime in, but I find if I calibrate to L* rather than Gamma 2.2 I can see the numbers in the test file right down to about 2, but if I calibrate to Gamma 2.2 I generally can only view them down to about 8 or 9. I’m otherwise using D50, 80cd and targeting a contrast ratio of around 270:1.

Hi Wattsies~ I cannot find much documentation on this with Color Navigator. What is your understanding of L* calibration?

Dana

My understanding is that L* calibration is an alternative approach which calibrates a monitor’s tonal response to Lightness (L*) which is the human perception of brightness. The monitor then represents equal intervals as equal brightness steps, rendering it linear with respect to the human visual system. But this is just what I have picked up with what scant materials are available, and I am certainly no expert. It’s just that I stumbled upon this method and it seemed the only one which allows me to see the numbers in your calibration number chart down below 9. See http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/blog/calibration/calibration-do-i-need-it/

With the L* method I can see down to 1. But perhaps the chart one the above link shows differently in different environments. If there is a more accurate file which I can use please let me know.

Jason

Jason,
It’s up to you but it may be more important that the contrast ratio from light to dark be at Gamma 2.20 rather than that you can see the last 8 patches. Piezography K7 curves are linearized to a modified Gamma 2.20 to imitate the display when its calibrated to Gamma 2.20. K7 curves are not ordinarily linearized. You decide what’s best for your way of working.
Jon

Cheers Jon. I might go back to a gamma 2.2 workflow on that basis.