Dustcover on 4900

do you recommend getting a dustcover to place on printer when not printing to prevent dust from getting inside and clogging printheads or not necessary?

I print once every week or once every 2 weeks.

thanks

What I do here is drape a piece of slip sheet paper over printers when they are not in use to prevent dust, etc… from getting inside, so yes- a dustcover is a good idea to help keep your printer clean.

Happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

is it better that the dustcover is made out of a breathable material?

how big is your slip paper piece?

thanks.

I’ve been using our 32x40 archival slip sheets, because it’s convenient. At the same time, I constantly monitor and maintain humidity levels between 40-60% in our studio, and temperatures between 65-80. With slip sheets draped over the printers, they still have plenty of “breathing” room, and I still follow our recommendations of using printers weekly, though occasionally a printer will sit unused for up to two weeks (we have a LOT of printers), and regularly agitate inks to maintain consistent results and in-suspension ink.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

if i print once every week or once every 2 weeks do i need to remove ink carts and agiate or is this only necessary after prolonged non use?

thank you

Inks sit still in the cartridges, even when the printer is in use- so regular agitation of the ink cartridges is necessary to keep the pigment in suspension for consistent results. Keep in mind that ink in both the carts and printer’s internal ink system will settle over time, and you can’t exactly “shake” the internal ink system, so keeping ink in the carts agitated and regular use of the printer will keep the inks consistent density and flowing well.

~Dana :slight_smile:

thank you dana.

btw. if ink pigment is not in suspension what could be the negative result noticeable on the print?

You’re very welcome, we’re here to help :slight_smile:

Settled ink will effect the color and density of your print output (this effects both color and BW prints, and is a natural trait of all pigment or pigmented inks, paints, etc…). For consistent output from day to day, month to month, etc… regular ink agitation and use of the printer are important steps to maintaining your professional print system and reliable, consistent output.
Settled ink can also cause particles to build up in the dampers faster than normal (requiring they be replaced sooner than the standard 1-3 year guidelines).

Best regards~ Dana

when should i remove carts and agitate them, once a week, once a month, every few months?

thank you.

Weekly or bi-weekly cartridge agitation is recommended to maintain in-suspension pigment for consistent output results (I am in the habit of agitating carts weekly, so there’s no question when it was last done).

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

to agiate just remove cart, turn upside down several times and reinsert. is that all?

thanks dana.

Please watch our video about large format refillable carts, where I demonstrate using refill carts for the 7800/9800, 7880/9880, 4000 and 7600/9600 mode printers. Although you are using the 4900 printer and refill carts, it may be helpful for you to see how I agitate carts for the other models in this video (note how I tip the cart forward to prevent ink from coming out of the air vent hole, around 3:20 of the video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyjI4tIGQ4Y

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

when removing carts to agiate fro 4900 does it make a difference if printer is on or off?

thank you.

I think it’s probably best to do with the printer power off.