Drum Scanning color film

I’m going to be doing a series of color images and wanted to know what type of film scanned best with Cone Edition’s linotype scanner ? I planned on using Portra 160 and Fuji Velvia 50. Are there color cast problems with color negatives on the linotype? What film do you guys recommend?

Paul

Sent from my iPaul

we scan everything raw 16bit and doing all inversions and corrections on more updated workflows with Mac Pros. Color casting is not an issue, but I recommend Portra 160 for the extended dynamic range over Velvia.

best
Walker

Ok, great to know. So you’re using a conversion process similar to negafix or Colorperfect to keep the characteristics of the film. I read somewhere about it being difficult to get faithful color reproduction from a drum scan but I think it was an Aztec and it wasn’t scanning it raw.

yes, for neg generally I do raw conversions with Negative Lab Pro and final color corrections in Photoshop with a smart object as the base layer. But sometimes ColorPerfect is the old-standard workflow for specific mid-level low-contrast negs (like a photo of a cement wall, etc). Sometimes other methods or warranted or a combo of two.

regards,
Walker

1 Like