Desktop Printer Recommendation

My 1900 is no longer functional, so I’m looking for a current replacement that will accept Piezography insets. I’m thinking I’d like a CIS, so as not to be refilling carts constantly, though the new 25 ml carts might do the job - I print on weekends mostly. This is not a production printer! I use a 3880 for bigger and more frequent printing. I’d also like to find something with a paper feed that is less finicky than the 1900.

Which printers should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Mark,

All new North American Epson printer models are locked against use of non-Epson carts. They will work for one ink fill, but as soon as the chip is reset, or auto-reset, or replaced with a new 3rd party chip, or replaced with a reset OEM chip that has previously been used with that same printer - it will lock. The only printer we can verify has not been installed with this anti-non-oem technology is the P-600. Of course the 1430 is still available. You may be able to find a left-over R2000 (direct replacement for the R1900). We are working on a new cart design for the P-400 (replacement for the R2000) and we believe that a small window of opportunity exists in replacing the chip with each refill. P-800 and higher are locked.

:frowning:

Jon

Please explain what this means?

The new Epson models use One-Time chips with unique hashed numbers that are registered internally in the printer as a form of “DRM.” This is complicating matters and may mean that refillable carts also need to use one-time-use chips.

Best,
Walker

Yes, I understand that. I’ve read Jon’s comments on various fora to that effect. But I interpreted Jon’s comment above as saying that this also applied to the P400. Surely not? Did Epson really resort to this new DRM on such a niche desktop printer?

I’ve always wondered how feasible it is to import a European Epson model. As I understand it, European countries have legislated that all printers must allow refillables. This, presumably, would get around the One-Time chip issue.

InkjetMall already mentioned that customers are importing P-800s and using voltage transformers. Maybe Epson users should follow HP users lead: Class Action alleges HP printers will no longer accept 3rd party cartridges

and one in Canada

and another in California

Right. I vaguely remember something about that.

Jon,

Thanks for this helpful information. Another question, if I may.

One reason I’m not working to resuscitate my 1900 is that Inkjet Mall no longer stocks the refillable carts. So any success I might have will come to an end as soon as one of my current carts goes belly up.

So, would I be better off trying to breathe life into one of two 2880’s that I have available to me? Meaning, will Inkjet Mall have parts for this printer for another couple of years (to make the effort worthwhile)?

Or would I do better buying an R3000 - which I can get on refurb from Epson right now - since the support from IJM might go on for longer since it’s a more recent model.

Thanks again!

We do not sell 2880 “parts” just cartridges. We do plan to supplying these carts for a while but I suggest getting an R3000 and not a 2880. There is a pressure system in the R3000 is keeps the nozzles printing much better than a 2880.

best,
Walker

[QUOTE=walkerblackwell;12711]We do not sell 2880 “parts” just cartridges. We do plan to supplying these carts for a while but I suggest getting an R3000 and not a 2880. There is a pressure system in the R3000 is keeps the nozzles printing much better than a 2880.

best,
Walker[/QUOTE]

Thanks Walker.

I’ll order the R3000 today!

Best,
Mark

Mark,
The R3000 is a very difficult to maintain printer. The chips and carts seem to befuddle users (maybe because they are new to the system). But, some users allow a cart to run dry - and we are never really sure if it is because they are not following the reset instructions and our warnings. But, then the entire system must be INIT FILL using the Windows only utility. Otherwise its a good quality printer.

We have a ton of R2880 carts in inventory. The R1900 and R2000 have just not been popular platforms here in USA. We also do not purchase supplies which we have not produced the manufacturing build for - and so our products are reliable, but the minimums are quite high due to owning the molds. So - we have not re-up on R1900 and R2000 as a result of such low demand. You can take your chances on alibaba or eBay with some cheap carts. No way to really differentiate them so just close your eyes and pick.

I would resurrect any printer that you can and store it in flush for the future. Epson has locked all new North American printers from use with 3rd party carts with the exception of the P-400 and P-600 which are not compatible with Piezography due to micro-lining. We would have to produce our own driver (QTR replacement) and not certain that we will go down that path unless Epson unlocks their other printers (P-800 and larger) in the way that HP was forced to unlock theirs. Click on Perron’s links above to read about the class action suits and how HP consumers reacted to being locked out from use of 3rd party carts.

Mark - the R1900 uses the same cartridge bodies as the R1430 & R2880, and so you can use those cartridges and swap the chips over. I say this as an R1900 user who has done this.

Mark,

While Jon is right that the R3000 is a high maintenance printer, if you’re using lots, it will be fine. I print more in colour, and just a little in piezography. The R3000 has been great for me the last 2 years for colour, but I wouldn’t ever use it for piezography because of the maintenance. The R3000 has no power clean, so if you get a bad clog you’d have to resort to an ink charge which uses a ton more ink that a power clean. I’m thinking that if I ever do get a bad clog, I’d be better off filling a set of carts with piezoflush and doing an ink charge with piezoflush and let it sit for a few weeks, then switch back.

Also, if you do mainly glossy, I’d recommend installing a flush cart with piezoflush in the matte black position. If you don’t use matte black much, it can cause leaks in the matte/gloss switchover, and that fix is not cheap.

Larry