Cyan mixing with yellow ink in the damper

Thank you Jon, I will look at the seal but it’s a brand new pump and capping station. I the new unit it on, along with a new flush box when I replaced the dampers a few weeks ago. So this is a new capping station. Also, the cross-contamination happened with the old pump and capping station in place before I changed the dampers and the other parts. Just the same, I’ll take a close look. Whatever it is, something is forcing ink the wrong direction because the ink lines going into the dampers are not contaminated. It’s coming from the other direction somehow.

Thanks for your thoughts,
David

Hi David,

I am afraid the only logical part left to replace is the print head. When there is internal damage done to the manifold on the print head, it will allow ink to cross contaminate normally between 2 side by side channels of the print head. This doesn’t always follow the same logic with every damaged manifold inside a head. Now you have experienced this with your Cyan mixing in the Yellow and Cyan mixing in the MK position, you have 2 channels cross contaminating at the head side of the ink supply system.

Thanks for the response, Kelly. That’s really sad news for me because I think the cost of a new print head is very high. Might mean I can’t fix the printer. Lowest price I see on Ebay is about $800.

David

Thanks for the response, Kelly. That’s really sad news for me because I think the cost of a new print head is very high. Might mean I can’t fix the printer. Lowest price I see on Ebay is about $800.

David

Would I just need to replace the Manifold adapter (about $45) or the entire print head ($800 to $1300)?

Thanks,
David

Would I just need to replace the Manifold adapter (about $45) or the entire print head ($800 to $1300)?

Thanks,
David

I have no personal experience with replacing just a manifold on a print head. It is my understanding there is a seal in between the 2 that is critical in creating a good, solid seal and once you remove the manifold you won’t be able to seal it back up effectively.

I too have wondered about replacing the manifold on a print head. I have a couple of misbehaving heads that I plan to try this on. Compared to the cost of a new head or new printer, wasting $45 and some time doesn’t seem to put too much at risk. If you try it first then please let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the thoughts. I was having trouble visualizing the membrane that is potentially causing my ink cross contamination. Now it makes more sense if it’s between the manifold and the printhead itself. Might be worth a try to replace the manifold. I need to do some more research on it. Let me know as well, if you try it.

David

http://www.signs101.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-89419.html

I just saw the info on the link above. Sounds like people are able to replace manifolds and there are some sources for DX5 printheads they are discussing.

A suggestion to David, take the print head apart to see if you can verify the failing parts inside the unit. Either way, you are going to be taking the head apart or throwing it out, so you aren’t risking anything by doing some exploratory research on the manifold and head.

Thanks, Kelley. Yes, true enough. Probably not much to lose in exploratory surgery. I have another manifold on order so I can try replacing it. The frustrating part is the contamination takes some time to show uo so it takes a while to know.

David