Curve for Canson Rag Photographique on 3880

Another fishing expedition, I have some Canson Rag Photographique which I understand is the Canson equivalent of HPR. I can’t find a curve for it in the profiles folder. Is there another source?

Hahnemuhle Photo Rag and Canson Rag Photographique papers are very similar, but not the same. You may get acceptable results printing one one with the other’s curve, but the best results will be obtained using a curve specific to the printer/ink/paper combination you’re using.

Here’s a curve that should work for your setup with Canson Rag paper (the 3880 can use the same curves as the 4880/7880/9880, and the curve is titled)

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

4880-7880-9880-CANragPhoto.quad.zip (2.82 KB)

Thanks Dana. My 3880 carts are almost here, so i’m hoping to go quiet soon.

and be busy: happily printing!! :slight_smile:

Is there a profile that you can provide for this paper on the R1800-1900-2000 printers? I assume that this one won’t work as it’s for K3 printers, although perhaps I could edit and reorder the .quad file so that the shades are in the right order and test it, but that seems like a lot of work for an uncertain outcome.

Hi Brian~

No, the K3 curve attached above will NOT work with the R1800-1900-2000, which use totally different curve structure than K3 printers.

We do not have a pre-made curve for the R1900 with Canson Rag Photographique paper, but have attached a curve made for a customer using a R1900 with Selenium ink and Canson BFK Rives paper, which is worth trying before getting a custom curve made.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

1900-SEL-CansonBFK.quad.zip (3.11 KB)

Thanks Dana, I’ll give it a try when I get my hands on some.

This is a paper that Jon speaks highly of. IJM sells it, does it not? And the R1800-1900-2000 are supported piezo printers, are they not? And so the only way to use a paper that IJM sells on a supported printer is to buy a custom profile, is that right? That’s more than a little disappointing.

Yes, we started selling Canson papers last year, though the R1900 curves were made several years ago (2008), and it’s not popular printer model that warrants us to spend the time going back and making more pre-made curves for. Canson Rag Photographique paper is similar to Hahnemuhle Photo Rag, so you can also try that curve.

Warmly~ Dana

My report: It seems like CRP is pretty close to HPR. The linearity check for CRP is very close to that for HPR on my printer.

However the profile you posted is better for my (Special Edition) R1900 printer, i.e. very close to linear, so I can only assume that whoever had this made must have a printer that has drifted in the same manner as mine. A sample of one is too small to draw conclusions, but I wonder if there is a roughly predictable pattern in the way that printers drift.

I retain concerns about IJM not providing profiles for each of the paper / printer combinations that you sell, but it’s not affecting me in this instance. Thank you for sharing this profile.

I’m glad the HPR curve is working well for you on CRP paper.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,

Is the CRP .quad file for the XX80 family of printers listed above a K7 curve?

Thanks!
Michael

The curves in posts #2 and #6 are both K7 curves, but the curve in post #2 can be used in any K3 Epson printer (at least I think any such printer), whereas the curve in post #6 can only be used in the R1900 or R2000 hi-gloss printers.

[In fact you can map the K7 curves for K3 printers to and from the hi-gloss printers using spreadsheets, but that’s a fairly advanced topic.]

Thanks Brian for the quick reply!