Curve for Canson Rag Photographique on 1430

After a few false cart starts, my 1430 is up and running, I hope. Is there a Canson Photo Rag curve available for the 1430? I’d like to settle on only a couple of papers for it, and my first efforts with HPR and the way that it curls aren’t promising.

Try this curve for Canson Edition Etching Rag. We don’t have a pre-made curve specific for the 1400/1430 printer and Canson Rag Photographique paper, but I think this should give you good results.

1400-CAR-CANedEtchRag.quad.zip (2.71 KB)

Thanks Dana. I ran out of CRP last night. I’ll get some more tomorrow and report back.

I got some CRP and did a linearisation test. The result is less than stellar. Do you have any other possibles?

That’s horrible!!
Please remind me, are you printing from Mac or Windows? What operating system version? What version QTR? If Mac, are you printing from Photoshop or QTR Print Tool? What version?

I checked some other custom curves I’ve made for the 1400/1430 with similar papers, and they have very similar curve structure, so I don’t expect trying a different pre-made curve will give you better results, and think we need to check your workflow before doing anything else.

Did you shake ink bottles before filling carts?

Please let me know so I can help you figure this out and get back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana

Horrible indeed, here are my details:

OS X 10.9.5
Print Tool 1.1.0, QTR 2.7.5
As for the bottles, on a stack of bibles, couldn’t say but it’s what I do without thinking. Both the printer and ink had been on a 1000Km road trip a few days earlier. so I suspect that they might be quite dizzy from that still.

Let me print the chart again. I discovered yesterday that my soft proof profile is way off. I must have had some yellow lurking in the head.
As to my workflow, I still have nightmares from Jon telling me what I was doing wrong so I don’t think that it is the problem.

Thanks for the additional information. Yes, I know you and Jon have already reviewed your workflow.

Please keep me posted so I can help you sort this out and get back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana

There’s something odd happening with my carts, I suspect. Last night I printed the linearisation pattern again after a good nozzle check, and got a result that was the reverse of the one that I posted previously. I then printed a purge pattern and another linearisation, and got a quite different result. This morning, a nozzle check shows only Y and K are OK. I did a head clean and now the other 4 are fine but Y and K are missing bits.

My inclination is to get rid of these carts and start again with a new set. Anyway, the bottom line is that the curve you gave me is good, thanks, and as they are not IJM carts, courtesy of Epson marketing policy, I will go away and sort it out myself.

Thanks again.

This linearization looks much better. I’m sorry to hear you’re having problems with your 1430 carts, and hope you can source a good working set.

Please let me know if there’s anything I can help you with.
Warmly~ Dana :slight_smile:

Moving right along, I discovered that the LM cart is leaking in the Australian bought set. There is also something else going on as getting a consistent nozzle check isn’t happening. The nozzles that are OK one time, change the next. My next move was to harvest the chips and put them on a set of IJM 2880 carts that Brian kindly gave me. I spent yesterday wrestling with the same sort of issues and discovered that the LC was leaking, and the K is suspect in the IJM set.

Before heading off to Ebay, I did a full clean on the 1430. I thought that I would try one more time with flush carts. So far, I have had purge pattern prints with blobs of ink which I hope were related to the head clean, and I now have Y, K, and C OK but the other 3 remain close but not quite there. The blobs are gone on the purge patterns, and a nozzle check before posting shows that C is now missing about a quarter of the bits.

The flush carts are another Australian sourced set. I don’t know whether they are good or not. On present indications, I’m inclined to believe not. The local supplier tells me that this shouldn’t happen.

I don’t believe that I am the most clumsy, stupid or unlucky person on the planet but this is pushing me in that direction. I’m wondering what my next move should be. Perhaps, I should put the Epson carts back in to see whether they work or not.

Any suggestions based on your previous experience with these carts will be gratefully received.

Having left the printer sitting for a few hours with flush carts, I now get Y and K OK and the other 4 all missing to a greater or lesser degree.

Having left the printer overnight, and a few more flush patterns, I still have missing bits in LM and LC that just won’t go away. I am at my wits end with this. Should it be this hard?

Continuing the conversation, I just put the Epson carts back in and got a perfect nozzle check immediately. I give up. Getting a printer that I could easily hibernate, and experiment with seemed like a good idea at the time. Anyone looking for a barely used 1430 in Australia?

I have been working fairly closely with Jeff on this in recent weeks. I have a theory, which features in my 9 refillables lessons, that sometimes you encounter a new printer that just won’t work with refillables, but is fine with OEM. There have been plenty of recent examples on IJM about older printers where this has happened, but I think that it occasionally (rarely) happens with new ones too. This seemed to be the case with my R2400, although there were complicating factors in that instance. Jeff’s 1430 sounds eerily similar. No matter which carts he uses and how carefully he fills them, one or more of them leak and drain, and a good nozzle check is elusive. And it’s a different channel draining for each set of carts. I think that this printer is just enough out of spec that this happens. Real bad luck. What else could it be?