Converting to Conecolor

Hi, I just got a new/used 4800 and thought I’d put the refillable cartridges with Cone ink in them, into the new printer. Can I do simply install the new ink and begin printing, or do I need to flush out the epson ink in order to avoid clogging due to incompatibility? I had problems once soon after starting to use Cone inks, so I was wondering if it was because I didn’t take this step first.

Thanks,
Steve

It is good to ask before you start on a 10 year old printer. The 4800 is a good printer but it was discontinued so long ago. You just acquired it used and there are definitely some things you need to find out about it. It is not a compatibility issue as long as it has Epson inks in it - but it is an age issue. If it has outdated ink in it - you really have to freshen the printer.

For example, it could be sitting for 6 months or 6 years with the OEM carts and there is some possibility that you can make a great looking nozzle check from the mostly clear-ish ink inside of it. But, in the meantime, the pigment that has fallen out of suspension and is lining the ink lines will not hit the ink dampers and possibly pass through to the print head until you really begin working it making lots of prints.

So, unless the printer has been stored with flushing fluid - I would really work it with ink to make sure that later when you do start working it the dampers do not plug and the print head does not plug. Evaluate it not by making nozzle checks but by making 10 17x22 photos. Look for banding, etc…

The short cut of course is to fill it with PiezoFlush using three to four Power Cleans or running the Initial Fill - and letting it sit for 48 hours. Then run 2-3 more Power Cleans to pull out the settled pigment and try and clear everything from the filter/dampers through the print head by using the suction of the Power Cleans and Initial Fill. At that point make sure you have perfect nozzles. Clean the capping station thoroughly as well as the wiper blade. If you really want to freshen the printer - replace the filter/dampers. Epson recommends that as an annual but no one does it until they’re plugged. WE do it twice a year as a preventative maintenance. We’re very particular about how clean we keep all of our printers.