Considering purchase of desktop printer

Hello folks,

Not sure of the best place to ask this, but here we go:

I currently own a 3880 and am very happy with the Cone Color Pro results. But, I travel a lot with the printer to do at-event prints. It’s both big and slow, especially for smaller prints (4x6, 8.5x11, 11x17). I’d like another printer to take over the smaller print sizes.

Ideally, this printer would:

• print up to 13x19, but a regular Letter sized printer would be ok.
  • be natively compatible with the Cone Color Pro inkset, or be compatible through profiling.
  • have refill carts that accurately monitor ink levels
  • Have carts “on board” the printhead.

With these desires in mind, I’m thinking of the Artisan 1430. Some questions on that front:

• IJM supplies refillable cartridges, as well as the EZFill system. Which do I want? It seems like EZFill would be better overall.
  • Is it worth the hassle of switching the 1430 over to CCPro inks and mucking with profiling, or are the CL inks sufficient for my use?
  • Or should I look at some other Epson model?

“My use” is printing poster-like images which are usually fairly vibrant, for typical display inside (bedroom, dorm).

Thanks in advance for your input!

Edit 12/28: Well, the Epson refurb units have sold out, but they just added a 2880. It’s $150 more, but uses the K3V inkset natively. Seems like a win, if the cost can be justified.

Hi tjncooke~

Based on your needs, I would suggest the Artisan 1430 as the least expensive printer model, that works well with our refill carts and Cone Color ink (but requires profiling), or the R2880 printer- which is a more robust printer (and more costly), works great with our refill carts and Cone Color inks (with or without profiling).
ConeColor is pigment ink, and ink Thrift is dye- if you’re printing a lot of short term graphics, then Ink Thrift is the way to go. Also, you wouldn’t need profiles with the 1430 and our IT CL inks. If you need good longevity, then I recommend sticking with ConeColor.

If you decide to go with the 1430 and IT CL inks, then the pre-filled EZ Fill keys and capsules may be easier, though I personally prefer the regular plastic carts, I know some people really like the EZ Fill system.
You could also buy empty EZ Fill capsules, and fill them with ConeColor for the 1430, or IT or ConeColor for the R2880.

I hope this helps.
Best regards and happy New Year~ Dana

Thanks for the insight. I wouldn’t say my graphics are “short term”, but certainly the archival quality of pigment isn’t needed. Will the CL inks last long enough for the purposes of posters hanging on a typical bedroom wall for a couple years?

Reading about the EZFill system, it seems really nice. This would lean me towards the 1430 and CL inks (although stocking 2 sets of ink would be annoying). Of course, I could use CC ink with profiles, but some have said that since there’s no LK and LLK, bronzing is an issue. That puts more weight to the 2880, with an added advantage of not needing 2 different ink stocks or mucking with profiles, but costs $150 more to buy. As another rub against the 1430, I’ve heard that build quality isn’t as high as the 2880. Do you have any experience with the two?

Ugh…seemingly equal pros and cons to both.

Yes, our CL will be good for posters on an interior wall for a few years, as long as it’s not in frequent and direct sunlight, which can speed fading.
I’ve had lots of experience with the 1430 and R2880 printers (and many other models) over the years, and the R2880 is a definitely far better machine.

Best~ Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;5826]Yes, our CL will be good for posters on an interior wall for a few years, as long as it’s not in frequent and direct sunlight, which can speed fading.
I’ve had lots of experience with the 1430 and R2880 printers (and many other models) over the years, and the R2880 is a definitely far better machine.

Best~ Dana :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Dana,

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but there seems to be a loose end or two.

I’d like to know what tjncooke went within the end, but more importantly, why do you say the R 2880 is for more robust?

I’ve got my R3000 to make archival prints, but I am considering the Artisan for all my matte printing and note cards so I don’t need to switch PK and MK. Also, I would use it for some colour documents on plain paper.

The Artisan seems perfect for this, but the robustness concerns me.

Larry

One further question to add to this regarding desktop printers…

I saw that Epson has some nice rebates for the Workforce printers. However, I also noticed that IJM no longer sells cartridges. Is IJM getting out of the Workforce lines?

Hi! I went with the R2880. Looking at the 1430 in-store shows it is definitely less robust compared to the R2880, in terms of build quality. HOWEVER! Finding the 2880 is getting harder and harder. Stalk the refurbished section on Epson’s web store.

I too have noticed that IJM has culled some less popular items from their stock. Perhaps they are simply focusing on what they do best: photo prints. Workforce printers are not designed for this audience, and so, no longer fit IJM’s demographic. For better or worse…

Just to update this thread, I just ordered a refurbished Workforce Pro 4530. It uses durabrite ink that IJM sells. Cartricges I can get from another source right here in Canada, and they seem reliable from what I’ve read. I have my R3000 for photo prints. Any special matte prints I can switch the inks, and it’s probably a good idea to exercise the mechanicals for that switch once in awhile. I will use the 4530 for colour documents, note cards etc. I am aware of the yellow ink explosions inside these printers. I came across one thread in a forum that describes a repair involving epoxy that I’ll try if it blows up after warrantee. Other than that, everyone seems quite happy with the printer.

Larry