ConeColor PK - Is is a good match for Pictorico film?

Before I order cartridges and ink for my 1400 I wanted to confirm that ConeColor PK will adhere and dry well on Pictorico’s OHP films.

My plan is to use an all-black (same dilution) with QTR (and low ink limits) to print digital negatives for alt printing (esp. Carbon and albumin)

Dave

Hi Dave~

Yes, ConeColor PK ink sticks to Pictorico OHP Ultra-Premium film, but is not the ink we designed our digital negative system for. Are you aware of our Piezography Digital Negative system?

~Dana

Hi Dana

Yes, I’m aware of the Piezography Digital Negative system.

What I’m planning to do is similar to what a number of Carbon Transfer printers are doing to make their negatives, and that is to use an all-black inkset where all cartridges contain PK ink, undiluted. This allows the ink limits to be quite low so drying time (and pizza wheel marks) are reduced.

Testing by a number of respected individuals in the field show this to be a viable option. Most of them are using Epson’s K3 PK drained from the 220ml cartridges, but as I’m a tight budget I was planning to try the ConeColor K3 PK ink (if it’s known to adhere well to Pictorico - I had read some comments that it’s not as a robust on film as Epson’s ink).

Can I assume (by reading between the lines) that your Piezography DN inks are a better choice for working with Pictorico films? From a purely ink/film compatibility perspective are they a better choice than ConeColor inks?

(my thinking here is to use the Piezography Selenium shade 1 or 2 as my “black” rather than the ConeColor PK…)

Needless to say this requires building and testing a QTR curve.

Dave

For this purpose, I recommend using our Piezography Warm-Neutral shade #1, which was developed for digital negative/film printing, and works very well.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana

Thanks Dana, that’s great to know. I will be ordering soon.

Dave

You’re very welcome! :slight_smile: