Combining Ink Sets

As long as you keep the proper shade in the correct slot, you can mix and match all you want - it works very well.
You can even split your sets more subtly, by mixing position 3 as half Selenium and half Neutral, to ease the transition from Selenium to Neutral.

Just be sure not to mix up the dilutions - 3 with 3 – never 3 mixed with 4 or 3 mixed with 2 - that’s disastrous.

Try it, it’s really lovely!

I was recently reviewing the sample images for K7 ink sets. My gallery has installed the neutral ink set, but the gallery director recently noted that he liked the Selenium ink set except for the fact that the Selenium tone is carried into the highlights. As a long time silver printer, he prefers silver prints which don’t have the Selenium tone in the lights but only have the Selenium in the darks.
Has anyone tried to use the darker Selenium inks with the lighter Neutral inks? Would there be incompatibility problems with changing the black and next darkest ink in the Neutral set with the Selenium set?
Thanks
John Thacker

PhotoCentral
Hayward, CA

To illustrate what Mark said, the Special Edition ink set has a Neutral shade 1, Carbon shade 2, shades 3 & 4 are a mix of Carbon and Selenium, shade 5 is Selenium, and shades 6 and 7 are neutral.

What helps smooth things out is that the IJM curves for Piezography have a lot of overlap between the shades, more so than curves created via the QTR curve creator.

It’s probably worth taking a look at a plot of the curve, because that will give you a guide as to what shades control what tones and in what proportions. How to view the curve plot will depend on whether you’re on Mac or Windows.

Mark, Brian,
Thanks for info – this helps immensely!
Cheers,
John.

1 Like

I do what Mark explained and mix the same shades of different tones to get a unique look.