Color shift

Ever since upgrading to OS 10.9.2 and also upgrading to Photoshop CC, our Epson 7890 with Cone color inks is printing everything with a magenta cast. Is there a new profile that I’m missing? Our 7890 with Epson inks is printing fine.

Apple changed the way they color manage images with OSX 10.5, and again in 10.6, again in 10.7 and seemed to stabilize to something in 10.8. With Mavericks we have not tried to analyze if they are at it again. We switched our own studio to a purpose built windows machine in order to stabilize color management. We’ve been on Mac since 1984. Tables turned on us as Mac Users - and they really are more the consumer oriented company now. Most of their internal color management experiments have been with an eye to making consumers happy. So - yes a lot has changed.

What version of OS and what version of Photoshop were you on? Even Adobe tried to thwart Apple until Apple found a way to thwart the Adobe CM utility.

Before the upgrade we used OS x 10.6 (snow leopard) and CS5.

I just made some test using my laptop with the old OS and CS5. Prints with Cone inks are still coming out a warmish magenta. B&W prints are warm. Our two other 7890 printers are using Maverick and PS CC with Epson inks and they are printing fine. Help. I need to fix this.

Were you getting accurate output with this 7890 ConeColor system before upgrading your OS and Photoshop version?
When did the magenta cast start, and when was the output last coming out correct?
How often is the printer used vs. how long does the printer sit unused?
When were the ConeColor inks installed into this printer?
Were all the ConeColor inks installed as a set, or one at a time as the Epson carts emptied?
Have any cartridges been refilled, or are they still on their first fill of ink?
Are all channels fully printing, and in the correct order on the nozzle checks?

Please let me know so I can help you past this and back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Yes we got accurate output with ConeColor inks before out upgrade. We (Greenfield Community College) have three 7890 printers. I switched one printer to all (at the same time) ConeColor in October 2013. We used it quite a bit for the rest of the semester (12/20) with no problems. When this semester began in late January, the OS and Photoshop were upgraded on all three computers. (Our printers are not networked) We began to see the color shift on the printer using ConeColor inks as soon as the students began printing. All channels are printing and in the correct order.
Thanks Dana.
Only one cartridge has been refilled - VLM. That was only an hour ago.

Thanks for the additional information. Did the printer sit unused for the month between semesters? Have the carts been agitated, and any power clean cycles been preformed? What paper(s) are you printing on? Are you using Epson’s standard workflow/profiles, or do you make your own profiles? I suspect the new magenta cast you’re experiencing is likely due to the new OS and driver update (though I don’t know how/why it would only effect the ConeColor printer, and not the other two), but settled pigment from sitting unused may be a factor. If you agitate the carts and do a few power dean cycles, but the cast is still present, I would be happy to make you a few free custom profiles if you don’t have the equipment to make your own profiles.

Please let me know.
Thanks~ Dana

Hi, I’m back with the same problem. The last thing you suggested was to agitate the carts and do two power cleanings. We did that and our B&W images improved but were still a bit warm. I thought it would continue to improve and frankly got too busy to keep testing. Meanwhile I switched another of our Epson 7890s to refillable carts and now it is also printing warm. We have one printer left using OEM inks. My plan was to switch them all to your carts but I can’t do that unless we solve the slightly magenta/warmish cast. If you think a custom profile would work, I’m all for it. How should I proceed?

When using Mac 10.9 and Photoshop CC, you will need to print targets from Adobe’s Color Printing Utility for accurate “NO color management”, which is crucial when printing targets to make custom profiles.
For information on ACPU, instructions for printing targets with ACPU, and the printable target images, please go here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?161-Adobe-Color-Printer-Utility

Mail printed targets to me at the address below, and I will email you the profile as soon as it’s complete.
Please let me know if you have any questions, otherwise I will be expecting your targets.

Inkjetmall
Attn: Dana
17 Powder Spring Rd
Topsham VT 05076

Hi Dana,
I sent the printed targets on Monday. Have you received them yet? I also wonder if you could email me directly using my school email address? I check that more often than the forum.
Thanks,
Joan

Hi Joan~

Your targets arrived, but they appear to have been printed with some sort of color management, so can’t be used to make a good custom profile…
Did you print thru Photoshop or ACPU?
What media type setting did you select?

~Dana

The targets are printed on Epson Enhanced Matte paper. I printed through Photoshop. Starting with the color space we default to Adobe RGB (1998) although in the Edit>Assign Profile>Don’t color manage this document. In the print menu I have two choices for color management - Photoshop manages colors or Printer manages colors. I chose Photoshop. In the Printer profile pull down I select Epson enhanced matte MK. In the printer driver window I select the media, the Color Mode and Print Mode are turned off automatically and the output resolution is at 2880. The boxes below (microwave, high speed, etc.) are unchecked.
I think I covered everything I did when printing the targets. Let me know what to change and I’ll do it.
Thanks,
Joan OB

As per the instructions I sent, due to the operating system you’re using, the targets MUST be printed thru Adobe Color Printer Utility in order to accurately be printed with NO color management, which is necessary when making a custom profile. Please refer to the instructions included in my message on 5/2 and reprint the targets using ACPU.

Please let me know if you have further questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.

Ah-ha! I didn’t download the ACPU. I’ll print another set and send them asap.
Thanks again,
Joan

Excellent. Also, if your two setups are identical (printer model, ink, paper, computer), then you only need to send a set of targets from one of the printers, and the custom profile will work on both.

Hello Dana,
Sorry I haven’t been in touch as often as I would like. Wrapping up the semester at school has been hectic as usual. I assume you got the printed targets I sent? Were they okay?
Joan

Hi Joan~

Yes, the second set of targets that you sent looked great! I just emailed the profile to your work email address.

Please let me know if you have questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: