Changing ink selectors and printheads on 7900/9900

Hi everyone, @IJM_TechSupport and @IJM_TechSupport in particular :grin:

I have a 7900 with some printhead issues, and a 9900 with some other issues, but a decent head. I’m hoping to swap the printhead from the 9900 into the 7900, and replace the ink selector at the same time.

I have a few questions:

1. Can a head be switched between printers? Is there any resetting of the head that may need to be done before transferring it?

2. The service manual states the lines need to be emptied before exchanging the selector. I remember @IJM_TechSupport mentioning something in a different post (though not sure if it was for these model printers) that they didn’t have to be emptied, just kept above the height of the cartridge end in order to stop ink leaking out. Then once the new selector was connected, run some power cleans (or maybe an init fill is required on these models?) to get ink (piezoflush in my case) to the head.

So those are my two main concerns: can I transfer a head between machines, and how can I replace an ink selector without spilling ink (and then how to get ink back to the head)?

Thank you so much for your help!

Jeremy Stephenson

Yes. You need to register the head’s voltage on the printer’s firmware with the Epson Service utility found at EpsonWideFormat@groups.io | Home

Just take the carts out and keep the printer off (unpressurized) and you’ll be fine. No need to empty. The epson techs don’t empty the lines either when they service a printer.

Thanks, @IJM_TechSupport. A couple more questions:

Yes. You need to register the head’s voltage on the printer’s firmware with the Epson Service utility found at EpsonWideFormat@groups.io | Home

Is this the “service program”, servprog.exe, mentioned in the service manual? If so, when you say “registering the head’s voltage”, are you referring to inputting the head rank id, or is there something else you’re referring to?

Just take the carts out and keep the printer off (unpressurized) and you’ll be fine. No need to empty. The epson techs don’t empty the lines either when they service a printer.

Great. Thank you. Then to get ink back to the printhead with the 7900/9900, do I have to do a full initfill, or will 2-3 power cleans do the job?

Yes.

1 power cleaning, 1 normal cleaning. Let sit over night. Then nozzle check and clean whatever is left.

best,
Walker

Awesome. Thank you very much!