Changing batteries on R2000 carts

With my first set of carts for the R2000, in blissful ignorance, I removed the chip and changed the battery. That worked well. However, Brian has now pointed out to me that there are two methods shown on IJM for other carts with batteries. The R2000 doesn’t get a mention in either so I’m wondering what the approved method is for the R2000 carts, and also, if I have to remove the chip holder, whether there is a right way of doing it.

To add to Jeff’s post, the instructions on battery replacement on this blog post on replacing the R3000 batteries make reference to removing the plastic chip holder, but don’t show how it’s done. It doesn’t seem to be hard, but there are a couple plastic tabs that I wouldn’t want to break.

In a recent post, Kelly stated that there isn’t much experience with these R2000 carts. That may be true, but the cartridge body is exactly the same as that on the existing R1430 / R1900 / R2880 carts, but with different chips. So you could use any of these carts from the other desktop top printers in the R2000. However rather than just exchanging the chips, you’d have to exchange both the chip and the chip holder, as the top of the holder is slightly different to accommodate the larger chip and battery.

Hence my interest in removing the holder, as it increases the availability of cartridge bodies for the R2000. In fact, when my R1900 eventually dies and I bring this new R2000 out of deep storage, I’ll be able to use the R1900 carts in use at that time in the R2000, after swapping the chips and chip holders.

The chip holder is actually the same between the R2000 the R3000 holder. The differences is the cartridge size and the chip programming. The holders them self have a very simple attachment to the cartridge, they have a tab that snaps into place (on the bottom of the chip holder) which snaps into the bottom of the cartridge. And a second tab at the top of the chip holder that slides under the area that holds the cartridge in place in the printer. After gently prying the lower tab out of the cartridge with a small flat head screw driver, you can then slide the tab out from the top. Once you get the hang of this, you will be able to do it with your hands/fingernails, it is very simple.

You can go this to replace the entire chip holder itself between similar cartridges.

If you simply need to replace a dead battery in your chip, you can remove the chip from the holder while it is still attached to the cartridge itself. The is no way of removing the battery from the chip while still attached to the chip holder.

Did this answer your questions Jeff and Brian?

Thanks Kelly. I’d love to meet the person who put the blue label over the chip holder. A little surgery is needed to separate the chip holder from the tape. Having read the R3000 instructions, I’d love to see the video of someone changing a battery without removing the chip from the holder. Unfortunately, Houdini is long gone but it would still be a good watch. I tried it but you need to push the battery out, and I just can’t do that without removing the chip.

My take at the moment, is that you are better off taking the chip off and changing the battery that way.

I’m sure that Brian will have something to say once he has had an attempt or two.

Falling on my sword, my technical adviser, AKA Brian, has helped me get the battery out without removing the chip from the holder.

And from 300km away!!

My only additional comment is that I think that the blog post on replacing the R3000 batteries needs one more photo on removing the chip holder. I’m sure it’s not hard, but like anything for the first time, if you don’t know exactly where the hooks are, it’s also not hard to break something. The other photos are pretty helpful and this one would complete the set.