Carts not recognized on Ep 1400 (OLD model)

Sometime ago I bought some “old style” carts from Inkjet Mall. I recently filled them with Neutral K6 inks without difficulty. Two of the filled carts (shade 5 @ LM position & shade 1 @ BK position) are not recognized by the printer. I have pushed the carts tightly against the chips and put a paper wedge to insure they are tight (this suggested in your instructions). Still not recognized! Where do I go from here?

Hi Bob~

After reviewing your order history, I see you purchased these carts at the end of 2011. I still use some of the older style carts in our R+D printers for testing, so I don’t believe the age of the carts/chips is any problem (they don’t have batteries that die over time like some other model chips). Do you have any other 1400 refill carts (I see you purchased a total of 3 sets in 2011)? What carts did you have installed in this printer prior to installing the refill carts? Did you print a good nozzle check with the prior set of carts to verify all positions were fully printing, and printer was working well?

Please let me know so I can help.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,
I still have 2 sets of unfilled carts. The previous carts were those with the continuous feed system. The continuous feed system had a problem (long story) and I could not do a nozzle test. However, I did flush all printer heads with Pieze Flush before installing the refill carts.

Hi Bob~

Thanks for the additional information. There are some variables in your situation since you were unable to print a nozzle check with the CIS, and flushed the print head with PiezoFlush prior to installing the set of refill carts- but I will do my best to help! :slight_smile:

Please remove the carts and examine the chip sensors in your cartridge carriage to make sure the thin sensor wires in these two positions look exactly the same as other positions, to make sure the sensors weren’t damaged somehow when you removed the CIS. If the sensors all look the same and you don’t see any bent or missing wires, I recommend you try different LM and BK chips- you can either remove chips from empty carts and transfer to the carts that contain ink (in place of the existing chips on those two carts, making sure to transfer the LM to LM and BK to BK, and securing the new chips using double sided tape), or insert a new/empty LM and BL carts just to check chip read without transferring the chips.

Please keep me posted- Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,
I am back in business. I changed chips on the LM and BL carts (I did not realize that the chips could be removed and replaced) and the LM cleared but not the BL. However, as you know I had a third BL cart, so I took the chip off that cart and put it on the filled cart and everything now works. Looks as if 2 of the BL chips were defective and at least 1 of the LM chips was defective. I did a couple of nozzle cleans and then printed a few known prints and they all came out as I expect from Piezography prints. I thank you very much for your assistance.

Hi Bob~ Thanks for the update. I’m happy to hear your problem is fixed, though it’s strange that 2 of your 3 BL chips were not working correctly in your printer… I can check my R+D chip stash, and may have a 1400 BL chip or two that I can send for you to use on the other two carts.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi Dana,
I am happy to be printing again. If you happen to have any BL 1400 chips that would be great, I would then have a backup.
Thanks again for all you help.

Bob

We’re happy you’re printing again too! :slight_smile:

I found two 1400 black chips, which I will send for you to use on your chip-less carts. Make sure to secure the chips to the carts with double sided tape, to prevent them from falling off.

Please let me know if you have questions or if there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: