Cartridges not recognized in 3880

This weekend I started having problems with the 3880 not recognizing the cartridges that are filled with Warm Neutral inks. Before I would follow the suggestions on the website and they always worked but not now. I would remove the waste ink cartridge, release the ink cartridges, turn off the printer and wait for a short time. I printed a couple of photos yesterday and then this problem began. Also it is now very difficult to remove the matte black cartridge. The chip does not want to lay completely flat. Maybe a new chip would take care of that. Any suggestions? I have checked all of the chips and they seem to be fine but…who knows.
Thanks very much.
Catherine Costolo

Hi Catherine~

I see you purchased the 3880 refillable carts last December, when did you first install them into your printer?

Are you able to remove the MK cart, or is it stuck in the printer? f the chip isn’t laying down flat/flush, it can catch on the chip sensor wires and damage it- so be careful and don’t force it. If you are able to remove the cartridge, then please check the chip. The plastic base of every 3880 reset chip should have three small plastic tabs around the side that hold it onto the cartridge. If any of these tabs are broken or bent inward, the chip will not stay secured to the cartridge, therefore not have a good connection with the Epson chip underneath, which will cause an error. Also, on the back of every reset chip, there should be three metal pins that stick out and touch the Epson chip- the three pins should be equal length for proper contact with the Epson chip. Please check the plastic base to make sure there are three plastic tabs, and if they are all in place, gently bend them outward slightly to ensure they catch and hold onto the cartridge. Also check to make sure the three metal pins are present and equal length. On the front of the chips, please check the gold contacts to make sure nothing is on the contacts that would interfere with the printer’s ability to read it- if you see anything on the gold contacts, gently clean them with either an alcohol pad or pencil eraser. After checking all these things, push the reset chips back onto their corresponding cartridges and make sure they are pushed all the way onto the cart for a good connection with the Epson chip, then reinsert the cartridges into your printer and see how the printer responds.

Please let me know so I can help you sort this out and get back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Hi, Dana.
I was able to remove the MK cart but i do not want to put it back in because it is so difficult to remove. The 3 pins that stick out and touch the Epson chip are there but will not stay pressed down into the plastic base Do I buy a new chip?
I checked all of the plastic bases and the tabs and they seem fine…none broken or bent and the chips seem to fit securely. The metal pins also seem fine. Nothing is on the gold contacts.
Unless I put the Mk cartridge back in the printer I cannot see if the printer will work. So do I order a new chip for the MK cart?
Thank you,
Catherine

Thanks for the update Catherine. From what you explain, it sounds like a new MK reset chip may do the trick. You can find new reset chips for the 3800/3880 refill cartridges here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.18/category.28306/.f

Keep me posted and let me know if you have further questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
All the best~ Dana :slight_smile:

Dana, thanks for all you help!
Catherine

You are very welcome Catherine!
Please keep me posted, and let me know if you have questions or there’s anything further I can help you with.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: