Advice on setting up refurbished Epson 3880

I posted this last week under the Printer Maintenance section but didn’t get any responses, so I thought I’d try here.

I just received a refurbished 3880 today and my plan is to use it for Piezography only so the only color printing will be to test the printer to make sure there aren’t any problems. This was actually my second refurbished 3880 in the past 3 weeks; the first one arrived damaged.

The 3880 came with a full set of 80ml inks; but I intend to test it with the carts from a 3800 (except for Vivid Magenta and Vivid Light Magenta) and then use the chips out of those older carts in the refillable cartridges I’ll be ordering from Inkjet Mall.

The boxes for most of the inks that came with the 3880 indicate they can be used with either the 3800 or the 3880 so I think my plan should work. I am a little confused by the Cyan cartridge that came with the 3880. It is marked as being for the P800 and has a product number of T8502. The rest of the set starts with T58–.

Do you think someone packed the wrong Cyan or does it not matter? And does my plan for using the chips from the old carts seem ok?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Yes, it would appear someone packed the wrong Cyan cart. I’d be willing to bet the 3880 won’t recognize the P800 cart.

The chips from the 3800 (except for M &LM) will work with the 3880. You will need to use the VM & VLM 3880 chips on those carts.
Good luck,
John

Thanks for the info. The good news is that I recently purchased a P800 so I’ll have a use for the Cyan cart and I can use the Cyan from my 3800 for testing and the chip.

Had an interesting response to my query to Epson about the P800 Cyan cartridge that was packaged with my refurbished 3880:

[I]Thank you for contacting Epson regarding your Epson Stylus Pro 3880. It is my pleasure to respond to your inquiry.

The P800 printer is the replacement printer for the 3880. They do use the same ink cartridges so you can use the Cyan you received.

We take your satisfaction seriously and hope that we have helped resolve your issue. If you receive a survey from us, we would greatly appreciate if you could take a few minutes to provide us with feedback about your support experience. Your ratings and comments are extremely important to us.

If this did not resolve your issue, please reply to this email for further assistance. If you have a different support issue, submit a request via our U.S. or Canada Support Site and we will respond in a timely manner.

Thank you again for contacting Epson.[/I]

Looks like Epson support doesn’t know their printers very well.