Adjusting and Calibrating the Print Feed

I recently read an article about “Adjusting and Calibrating the Print Feed” for the Epson 3880. I’ve never gone this far to set up a specific paper, is this truly necessary to get the best print. Below is a link to the article, please give any thoughts and input you have.

Thanks
John

It’s important IMO

best,
Walker

Walker,

I have adjusted the 2 papers that I use right now Epson Hot Press Bright White and Canson Photo Rag 310. From what I could tell little to no adjustments were needed using the Epson LFP Remote Panel. I printed a few 8 1/2 x 11 test prints and everything looks good, no marks on the prints., but when I printed on 17x22 paper from either of the top paper feeds I got wheel marks. These marks are the guide wheels some thin some wider and mostly on the right side. Not getting pizza wheel marks as far as I can tell.

I set up custom papers on the printer as:

Paper Type: Matte/Thick
Platen Gap: Standard -Tried Wide also
Paper Feed Adjustment A: +.06
Paper Feed Adjustment B: 0
Drying Time: .5Sec

This brings up a few questions:

1. When using QTR does it matter what the setting are in the Epson Driver software for a paper type, thickness, dry time etc.?
  2. Does QTR use any of the Epson driver settings.
  3. If question 2 is no than I assume any changes for a given paper need to done on the printer and not the Epson Driver.
  4. Is there a way to reduce the ink density. Using Hanna Bamboo ICC

What changes to the paper settings on the printer can I make to reduce and hopefully eliminate the wheel marks.
Paper Type: Matte/Thick
Platen Gap: Wide
Paper Feed Adjustment A: ? - what is this adjusting
Paper Feed Adjustment B: ? -Tension wheel I think
Drying Time: ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John

QTR sends no platen/speed/etc data to printer. So anything set on the printer itself is what is used.

Every 3880 is a bit different so your experimentation here is the thing that works. Maybe print from back (flat) feeder.

best,
Walker

Walker,
Is there any way to reduce the amount of ink applied to the paper.

Thanks
John

PPEv2 allows for precise ink reduction in certain tonal ranges, yes.

-walker