9880 Clogging, during printing. Going crazy with it!

Another clogging thread.

Using K7 inks in a 9880, and I have pretty predictable luck or bad luck with clogging in regards to not using the printer enough, in general.

BUT I keep getting clogs during printing sessions. Maybe half the time I have a long print session at some point in the day I get a substantial nozzle clog that shows up as large banding in the print. Here’s the really annoying part, I do a head cleaning and the clogs just move around on the print head. Sometimes it takes me 5 or 6 or 7 cleanings just to get it cleared.

And again, this will happen after doing back to back prints for 4 hours.

It’s driving me crazy.

I’m printing on Canson Rag Photographique. And the paper goes directly from it’s bag into the printer (isn’t laying around). I don’t use auto cut.

It seems logical that it’d be dust or grit getting on the print head, but why is it such a consist problem? Does this happen to anyone else? I would LOVE to find a solution…it’s not bad occasionally, but it’s happening daily, and that’s enough that it’s simply becoming too expensive to try to use the printer.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and just to be clear, these really bad clogs don’t ever happen when not printing. The printer can sit for 5 or 6 days and be fine, or if there’s a clog it clears in one cleaning.

When I get these awful clogs its always during a printing session.

Another clue I didn’t think of mentioning but that may be relevant is when it becomes clogged, it usually starts a band appears about 1/4" into the print, relatively thick (1/8"ish) and fuzzy, sometimes more than one, but usually on the print edges…these sort of random, but it’s not your usual hard to see micro banding.

Any thoughts on this Dana. I’ve got some feedback over at the yahoo group, which is leading me to try another new capping station and wiper. I’m happy to do that, would prefer not to do the dampers again ($$$), but you’re the resident expert with this stuff so was hoping to get your thoughts!

Thank you for providing details of your situation, it’s very helpful for me to figure out what’s going on, and what the solution is. Sorry for not responding sooner, I was working with a print client all last week, so wasn’t at my computer as much as normal.

Based on your order history, I see you started using refillable cartridges and Piezography Neutral ink around July of this year. I also quickly read thru our past emails, and see you have replaced the set of dampers, wiper blade and cap pump assembly- correct? Did you also replace the flushing box? If not, it would be best to install a new flushing box and clean out the tube (you can rinse out and reuse the current tube, as long as it’s not broken), since you have replaced the other cleaning area parts.
I don’t suggest replacing the wiper blade and capping station again, and instead think it’s best to look elsewhere for your solution, as these two parts were recently replaced and are likely not causing your current issue.

What is the temperature and humidity in your printing environment? Going into the dry winter months, humidity is a big issue now, as dry air can easily cause flow issues and clogging. We follow the industry standard by monitoring and maintaining humidity levels between 40-60% in our print areas, and try to never print below 35%.

Please let me know so I can help you get past this and back to happily printing.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: