7900 reds are orangish

I have both an epson 7900 pro and a 3880. I am using cone ink sets in both. I notice that the reds in the 3880 are deeper and richer than on the 7900. The 7900 has almost an orange tinge to the reds. I don’t know how long this has been the case as I generally don’t print he same images on both printers and compare them side by side. I really noticed it when I started printing a test image on both machines on a regular basis to ensure that the inks would keep flowing. I have used a colormunki to profile paper on the 7900 and still get the same results. This is most noticeable if I print a solid red patch R255.G0.B0. my colormunki spot reading is R220G63 B51 a Vivid redidish orange.

My nozzle checks print cleanly and crisply. Even so I have done a number of power cleans with no change.

Is this a difference that I should expect as a normal variation between ink sets and printers?

Is this a problem with the first formulation of the 7900 HDR inks?

Thanks for your advice

Hi Robert~

I apologize for not responding sooner, we have been working with several artists in our studio recently, and I wanted to check my ConeColor ink tests before responding to you.

Different printer models can have slightly different output, but I would like to get more information and some tests from you to evaluate your inks to verify everything is correct.
After reviewing your order history, I see you started using ConeColor inks in a 3800, and purchased the Vivid magenta setup for your 3800 printer- are you now using a 3880 model, or did you order the 3800-VM setup for your 3880 printer?
I also see the last time you purchased ink from us was in 2011. At that time, I believe the 7900 HDR ink set did use a slightly different VM and LK ink than the non-HDR set for the 3880 and other non-HDR models, but the visual difference of the VM was extremely slight. I am wondering if you are experiencing effects of using older inks, such as settled pigment, particle build up in the dampers, and possibly age-related shifts of the printers.
Do you have any remaining ink in bottles? If so, please provide me with lot#s and do a smear test of your inks by shaking all the bottles, then let them sit for a few minutes to let froth settle, then using a clean Q-tip, dip into the ink and wipe evenly across a piece of coated paper- making each ink smear with the bottle it came from. Then, dry and compare the ink smears.

Please let me know your results, if you have questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: