7900 Doesn't Recognize New Cart

Greetings Fellow Printers: I recently purchased a 7900, and decided to go with Inkjet Mall for replacement inks/carts given the organization’s great reputation, and to economize. Last week I replaced number 8 (LK), and everything went smoothly. These HDR Cone inks are excellent! Yesterday, I replaced number 5 (MK) but the printer refuses to recognize the cart. I have now read through all of the pertinent threads in this forum and tried all of your wonderful suggestions (e.g., wiping the new chip; opening/closing both ink covers; pushing the new cart to the left; powering off/on; inserting a paper shim to improve chip positioning, etc.). The one thing I have not tried is resetting the chip. I would greatly appreciate any additional thoughts or prayers you can send my way! Thanks! Cheers, dpsloane (down and out in Maryland).

Hi dpsloane~

I appreciate that you have read and tried the suggestions we provide in attempt to resolving your problem. New chips are programmed to read full, so don’t need to be reset. Please tell me, what is the exact message displayed on your printer’s LCD panel for the MK cartridge? Based on your explanation and what you have done. I suspect the chip on your MK cartridge isn’t working correctly, in which case we’ll get a new one out to you right away. Please let me know the message your printer is displaying, and I will get a new chip sent to you today.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks, Dana. I think you are correct. The message reads: “Replacing Ink Cartridge. Install Ink Cartridge.” If you could overnight the chip, I would be glad to pay the added costs. Just let me know. Kind regards, dpsloane!

Unfortunately, it’s too late to go out today, but I will test a replacement chip in our 7900 to ship tomorrow via FedEx overnight if you cover the shipping charge.

Since you’re using the new 850ml carts, you will need to pry the current chip off the cart, and attach the new chip in it’s place using a piece of double sided tape. It’s very important to make sure the chip is flat and straight before inserting the cartridge into your printer.

Please let me know how the new chip works for you, if you have questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.

Okay, Dana, will let you know how it goes. Please bill the shipping to the card I have on file. Thanks much!

Excellent, I’ll get the chip out today, and please let me know your results.
~Dana :slight_smile:

Wells told me you called and the new chip didn’t solve your problem… I’m sorry to hear this, and puzzled because I tested it in our 7900 and it worked perfect, then I packed and shipped it to you… Maybe it got damaged in shipping?
Does the refillable MK cartridge appear different in any way that could possibly cause the chip to not have a good connection? I’ve tested a few sets of these carts in our 7900 and 9900 printers with great results, and have a few customers happily using them, so we haven’t had any problems or experienced any mold issues- but to get to the bottom of this, I will send you a new cartridge on Monday (after testing in our printer first, to make sure all’s well). In the mean time, to get back to printing ASAP, I recommend you get a new Epson MK cart (it will work well with our carts/inks), since your printer correctly read your old Epson MK cart (to verify the sensor is working correctly).

I apologize for the inconvenience, but please know we’re dedicated to help you get set up and back to happily printing.

Okay, Dana. Look forward to receiving the new cart. If any of the other refillable carts behave like this one did, I will need to return the unopened merchandise for a prorated refund. Since I have no way of knowing how my printer will respond when that time comes, I trust you won’t hold me to that 15-day return policy. I can’t afford to be out of commission like this for days at a time; I have clients nipping at my heels, which I’m sure you can appreciate. Thanks for your consideration.

I will get the new cart out to you today (after verifying it works well in our printer).
We have tested several sets of these new 850ml style carts in our 7900 and 9900 printers over the past +/- 6 months with excellent results, and have a few customers happily using them, so feel confident they work well and have a very few issues. Of course, nothing is always 100% perfect, but we feel there are many benefits to these carts over the internal bag carts, and have had great results and feedback with them.

Chips can be fragile, and wear out over time. The cartridges themselves are robust and likely last the life of your printer, but chips will occasionally need to be replaced. We recommend everyone have a set of spare chips on hand to be able to rquickly replace a chip and resume printing, to avoid down time of waiting for a new chip to arrive in the mail.

Please keep me posted as you install the other refill carts, let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else we can help you with.

Hi Dana

Thanks for sending me the new ink cart for my 7900. Since I already replaced it with an Epson cart, it will be some time before I need to use the one you sent. But I will let you know if any of the others in the refillable set I purchased from IJM encounter problems. On that same issue, I removed the ink from the failed cart and put it back in the original bottle. However, it’s possible there may have been a small amount of moisture in the bottle from rinsing it out earlier in the week. Should I dump this ink, or can it be saved?

Thanks,
Dave Sloane

You are very welcome Dave, the satisfaction of our customers is very important to us, and we want all our customers to be happily printing :slight_smile:

Was the bottle rinsed out with tap or distilled water? Was it left upside down to air dry, or sealed after rinsing? I would say if the bottle was rinsed with distilled water, and only had some slight condensation on the inner walls, then it is probably safe to use this ink- but if you used tap water, and/or there was more than just a little condensation in the bottle when you poured ink in, then the ink may have been contaminated/altered, and I can’t guarantee the best results using altered ink, so proceed at your own risk.

Please let me know how things go with the new cart, if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.