7880; can't print after replacing matte black ink cartridge

I just acquired an Epson 7880. With 5 cartrdges being low on ink I decided to replace them with ConeColor ink. After replacing 3 of the cartridges I ran about a half dozen prints with no problems whatsoever. The oem matte black cartridge then needed to be replaced. After replacing that one with the ConeColor cartridge I can no longer do any printing. I’m printing from Lightroom 5 and I haven’t changed any of my settings. The printer has obviously recognized that I’m not using oem ink as I’ve gone through the dialog on the printer alerting me to that fact and I have proceeded through that as normal (I still don’t get any indication as to ink levels in the replacement cartridges other than a visual check of the cartridge itself). Is the fact that the matte black cartridge isn’t being recognized the reason why I can’t print? I’m not sure what to do. Any ideas?

Is your printer displaying an error on the LCD panel? If so, what is the exact message?

If your printer is in MK mode, and is having difficulty reading the chip on the MK refillable cartridge, then you can simply attah the chip from the Epson cart to the refill cart, and reset the chip to read full again.
Please transfer the chip from the Epson MK cartridge to the refillable MK cartridge by following the instructions below, and let me know your results, if you have questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Before handling any chips (or really any electrical device for that matter), you should ground yourself and mindful of the clothing you wear, and if you’re working on carpet, etc… as static shock can destroy a chip.
Looking at the chip on the Epson cartridge, you will notice there are two small plastic points that hold the chip in place. Make a note as to which way the chip fits onto the cartridge so you can attach it to the refill cartridge in the same direction. Using a straight razor blade at an angle carefully cut the top of these two points off (be careful not to scratch the gold contacts), which will release the chip so you can carefully pry it off the cartridge using the edge of the blade. You can also use a sharp knife or something similar to pry the chip off the refill cartridge. You will notice the same two points on the refill cartridge where the chip goes (pry the chip off the refill cartridge before attaching the Epson chip in it’s place)- gently line up the Epson chip with these points and attach it to the refill cartridge by using single thickness (not foam or thick) double sided tape. Making sure your hands are clean and dry, press the chip to make sure it is tightly seated and flat/flush on the cartridge. Now, using the chip resetter- reset the chip and insert the cartridge into your printer.
NOTE: Installing a cartridge without a chip, or with a crooked chip attached can damage the printer’s chip sensor- so always make sure cartridges have chips secured flat before installing cartridges

I’ll give that a try. Thanks.

I guess I didn’t save the old cartridge so I won’t be able to try the oem chip. I noticed this weekend when I tried again to print I got a pop up message stating the incompatability between my media type and ink. I’m using matte paper & matte black ink. The pop up message lists all ink colors loaded in the printer but shows the black cartridge as being photo black rather than matte black. All other cartridges are listed properly. Is it possible the matte black cartridge I recently received could have a photo black chip installed rather than a matte black chip?

Hi Larry~

Does the ink mismatch message allow you to push “OK” or “accept” to print?

The 7880/9880 refillable cartridge chips are programmed with information for all color positions, so the printer will actually accept any cartridge in any position (so you have to pay attention to install the carts in the correct channels). This can be helpful if you need to replace a chip, or put a cartridge in a different channel for any reason, and the print driver will display all matte and gloss Media Type settings (instead of just one or the other, depending which black cart/chip is installed). Based on our results over the years, and feedback from customers, it seems that some 7880/9880 printers will correctly accept the MK cartridge/chip in MK mode, but others (possibly depending on the printer’s manufacture date) will somehow see the PK information clearer/stronger, which can confuse the printer. Since you are using ConeColor inks, you can either 1. attach an Epson Matte Black cartridge chip to the refill MK cartridge to make the MK cartridge read full/pure MK to be correctly read by the printer as MK, 2. use the printer as is, knowing that you’re using MK ink, and select matte/rag paper profiles, and matte media type setting (even though the printer shows a PK cart is installed).

I just did a test print with one of our 7880 printers, using refillable carts, and the black cartridge reads as Photo Black (though it may have always been in PK mode (as they come new), when we installed the refill carts). I was able to select the printer profile and Enhanced Matte setting, and it printed without any mismatch error. Are you able to select a matte Media Type setting and print, or does an error pop up and prevent printing?

Please let me know so I can help you get back to happily printing.,
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: