7800 Check cartridge error message

I have a 7800 printer that was given to me. I just bought the PiezoFlush kit to clean out the lines. I followed the directions for filling the ink cartridges and them put them in my printer. I get an error message that says “Ink Cartridge Error - Check Cartridge”. None of the cartridges are being recognized. All of the icons are flashing. Please help.

Hi lgose~

Did the printer have cartridges installed when you got it? If so, were they Epson carts, and were they all recognized by your printer prior to installing the set of refill carts? If so, do you still have those carts?

Please let me know so I can help you past this~ Dana

Yes the printer has epson cartridges that are recognized by the printer

Thanks for confirming your printer is working well with the Epson carts. What is the remaining ink level of these Epson carts?

It sounds like the refill cartridge chips are not being correctly recognized by your printer for some reason. I can either send you a set of replacement 7800/9800 chips to attach to your refill carts, or you can use chips from the Epson carts on your refill carts. I included instructions for transferring Epson chips to refill carts below.

Please let me know if you’d prefer I send a set of replacement chips, if you have questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Attach Epson chips to refill cartridges:
Before handling any chips (or really any electrical device for that matter), you should ground yourself and mindful of the clothing you wear, and if you’re working on carpet, etc… as static shock can destroy a chip.

Looking at the chip on the Epson cartridge, you will notice there are two small plastic points that hold the chip in place. Make a note as to which way the chip fits onto the cartridge so you can attach it to the refill cartridge in the same direction. Using a straight razor blade at an angle carefully cut the top of these two points off (be careful not to scratch the gold contacts), which will release the chip so you can carefully pry it off the cartridge using the edge of the blade. You can also use a sharp knife or something similar to pry the chip off the refill cartridge. You will notice the same two points on the refill cartridge where the chip goes (pry the chip off the refill cartridge before attaching the Epson chip in it’s place)- gently line up the Epson chip with these points and attach it to the refill cartridge by using single thickness (not foam or thick) double sided tape. Making sure your hands are clean and dry, press the chip to make sure it is tightly seated and flat/flush on the cartridge. Now, using the chip resetter- reset the chip and insert the cartridge into your printer. NOTE: Installing a cartridge without a chip, or with a crooked chip attached can damage the printer’s chip sensor- so always make sure cartridges have chips secured flat before installing cartridges

Dana,

Would you please send me replacement chips. I think it would be easier to only replace one set instead of having to put them back on the ink cartridges. The inks are all over half way full with ink. Thank you

I will have a set of 7800/9800 replacement chips sent to you right away.

Instructions for replacing chips on refillable cartridges can be found here (make sure to click the link for the specific printer/cartridge model you’re using): http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?139-How-to-replace-chips-on-LF-carts

Please let me know if you have questions, your results after replacing the cartridge chips, and/or there’s anything else I can help you with.

Dana,

I got all but one cartridge to register. The Light Black still won’t register. The printer says "invalid ink cartridge- Non valid ink cartridge. The person who had the printer before me changed it to Phatte Black at one point. There is a MK ink cartridge that does register. I tried both the LK & MK chip to see if wither one would register and both say the message above. What should I try next?

Thanks

Thanks for the update. I’m glad to hear seven of your carts are now recognized by the printer after replacing the chips. Regarding the LK cart that still isn’t recognized: is this the exact same message the printer was displaying before replacing chips, or a different message? Does your printer recognize if you install an Epson LK cartridge?

Is the printer currently in MK or PK mode? If it’s in PK mode, it will not accept the MK cartridge/chip without preforming a black ink change cycle first (and if the printer is in MK mode, it won’t accept the PK cart/chip).

Please let me know so I can help you past this.
Best regards~ Dana

Hello Dana,

We’re also having cartridge problems on our 7800 - I hope it’s ok to piggyback on this thread.

We use the ConeColor refillable sort. After recently replenishing one, the printer reads “Ink Cartridge Error: Replace Cartridge.” It was working well before the refill and, despite resetting the chip, the error persists.

I’m thinking we may need some replacement chips. What do you think?

Hi Ian~

After reviewing your order history, I see you purchased the 7800/9800 refillable carts in Jan 2012. Based on the error message, and age of carts/chips, I think you may be dealing with old/worn out chips, so agree with your diagnosis, and believe you need replacement chips, which you can find here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.18/category.28294/.f
We recommend everyone have a set of spare chips on hand, to be able to quickly replace a chip as needed and resume printing without down time of waiting for a new chip to arrive in the mail.

Chip replacement instructions can be found here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?139-How-to-replace-chips-on-LF-carts

Please let me know if you have further questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana

Dana,

I can’t even get to the menu to check if its in PK or MK mode. The screen just says: INK CARTRIDE ERROR - CHECK CARTRIDGE. It has this message for any ink cartridge that I put in that slot.

Leah

Dana,

Is there any way I can just call and talk to you or someone. This back and forth is really not working for me. Thank you.

Leah

Hi Leah~

I was wondering what was happening in your situation, since I hadn’t received a response to the last message I sent a few weeks ago.
Yes, it is difficult to trouble shoot your problem this way, due to slow response time, and I’m not clear from your last message if you’re referring to the LK or K channel, as you mentioned issues with both in a previous message, and I asked for information to clarify. My understanding is you have an error with the LK channel, and your printer is accepting the PK cartridge, but not the MK (which I explained is normal, and due to the black ink mode the printer is currently in, which is apparently PK). Please tell me, does your printer recognize all carts if you install the Epson LK cart?

We offer free support via this forum, and have paid hand-holding phone support available if you prefer. For information or to order phone support, please go here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.18/category.47401/.f

Best regards~ Dana

Dana,

Really, this is free but I have to pay just to talk to someone? Wow.

I got all the ink cartridges to register. Now the problem is with the Initial Fill sequence. I go to that menu and hit the enter button on my machine but nothing happens. The pause light is yellow. What do you suggest next?

Leah

We provide excellent support via email for free, which is fast and efficient, and most people are very pleased with, but if you need hand-holding phone support, we charge for that because I am the main support person, and do MANY things other than tech support, so need to schedule my time carefully, and can’t be on the phone all day. You can certainly call to speak with someone in our sales department, and they are able to help with basic setup and order questions, but do not handle advanced technical support.

I’m glad to hear all your refill carts are now recognized by your printer. What did you do to get the LK working?

Did you follow the Initial Fill procedure from here?: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?151-Initial-Fill-Procedures-for-Epson-Pro-Model-Printers
Turn the printer on normally to accept the refill carts, then turn off and go thru the Init Fill procedure. I have occasionally seen a printer not process an Initial Fill (we have six 7880/9880 printers, all the same age and all using our refill carts, but one will not do an Initial Fill for some reason, though all the others do no problem). If your printer won’t preform an Initial Fill cycle, then you can do 3-4 Power Clean Cycles (which is the equivalent of doing one Init Fill).

Dana,

Yes, I followed the directions that you provided. Nothing happens when I get to the initial fill and hit enter. Now when I turn on my printer it says that the maintenance tank is full. I checked and it is no where near full and looks pretty new. I tried to reset the the counter for that but nothing is working. Any suggestions?

Leah

Hi Leah~

Sorry for not responding sooner, I was teaching a workshop all day yesterday, so was unable to check/answer emails.

I’m not sure why your printer is not preforming the Initial Fill Cycle when you push enter, and suggest you do 3-4 Power Clean Cycles instead.
If your printer thinks the maintenance tank is full, but it’s not- then you will need a chip resetter to reset the waste tank chip to read empty again.

Best regards~ Dana