7600 does not recognize cartridges

Hi Dana,
Cathy suggested I contact you. I am running a Mac X v. 10.8.5 and have an Epson Stylus Pro 7600 driver ver. 9.17.

I filled my new carts with Piezo Neutral inks. I performed an Epson changeover from photo black to matte black with the black draining cart. I installed the newly filled carts in the printer and closed the ink lever. An error message appeared in the 7600 LED window: “Release ink lever, wrong cartridge,” along with a blinking ink-out light for #1 black. When I release the ink lever, the message “Replace with new cartridge” appears. When I update the “Epson Printer Utility 4” on my Mac, the message “Ink out or incompatible cartridges for the following colors: photo black” appears. I have 1) removed and replaced the black cart 2) removed and replaced all carts 3) jiggled all the carts 4) restarted the computer and the printer 5) pressed the carts to the left and to the right on insertion 6) removed and replaced the printer list on my Mac (and gone a little nuts in the process).

It seems that the printer-driver does not recognize that the matte ink has been installed. I have attempted to find a way to check that, but am stumped. I hope you can see the error of my ways. Please advise. Thank you! TomL

Hi TomL~

Cathy gave me a heads up that you would be contacting me for help.

All you need to do is disable the printer’s chip sensor to get rid of the chip related error you’re getting. This information is included in the 7600/9600 refill cartridge instructions. Also, as per our instructions (page 1, step 2 under “Procedure for Filling Cartridges” section), you did not need to preform a black ink change since you are using Piezography inks.

Please turn off your printer’s chip sensors as per the cartridge instructions (located on page 4), then let me know if you have further questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;2403]Hi TomL~

Cathy gave me a heads up that you would be contacting me for help.

All you need to do is disable the printer’s chip sensor to get rid of the chip related error you’re getting. This information is included in the 7600/9600 refill cartridge instructions. Also, as per our instructions (page 1, step 2 under “Procedure for Filling Cartridges” section), you did not need to preform a black ink change since you are using Piezography inks.

Please turn off your printer’s chip sensors as per the cartridge instructions (located on page 4), then let me know if you have further questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.

Best regards~ Dana :)[/QUOTE]

Hi Dana,
Thanks for your quick response.

I neglected to mention that I had attempted to disable the printer’s chip sensor using the procedure on page 4 of the instructions before I corresponded with you. I did it again this morning and got the same message: “Wrong cartridge. Release ink lever,” then, “Replace with new cartridge” with a blinking light on the #1 black.

Following the instructions for 7600/9600 (Item #4), when I got to “ED Mode,” pressing “Enter” did not enable “Down Arrow to 0.” I had to press the right arrow to enable
“Scroll Down to *0.”

I then pressed “Enter” and turned the power off and, as I mentioned above, got the “Wrong cartridge…” message.

Any ideas on what I should try next?

Thanks again, TomL

Hi Dana,

I think I may have found a workaround for my 7600. I tried several more times to disable the chip sensor without success. Finally, I installed the old Epson Photo Black cart and turned on the printer. I got a message to “remove the draining cartridge.” I then removed the old Epson Photo Black cart and inserted it again, and the ink charging process started up. I let it run a bit and shut off the printer.

Next I swapped the new Piezo cart for the old Epson Photo Black, and the charging process started and completed its cycle.

I am in the process of a couple of power cleanings, and it seems to be working. I will let you know when I have achieved a print.

Again, I appreciate your expertise.

TomL

Thanks for the update TomL.
This is very strange, and it sounds like the printer was possibly mis-reading the black cartridge chip as a draining cartridge (?) Whatever was causing this strange mis-reading, kudos for figuring it out!
After this, were you able to disable the printer’s chip sensors successfully?
When installing Piezography inks in your 7600/9600 printer, as per our instructions- you will need to do an Initial Fill cycle to get inks from carts to the print head. Initial Fill procedures can be found here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?151-Initial-Fill-Procedures-for-Epson-Pro-Model-Printers

I hope everything goes smoothly, but please let me know if you have questions or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: