4900 cartridge not recognized and causes others to become unusable

I recently had a warranty replacement on a 4900 for two unfixable clogs (extra thanks for the extended warranty suggestion, BTW). FYI, I was running a combination of Epson and Conecolor inks, slowly replacing the Epson carts as they ran out. When I received the new machine, I installed the starter cartridges and stored the ConeColor carts until needed. Yesterday the starter LK cart needed replacement and I put in the ConeColor cart. The cart was not recognized and the X in red circle flashed. The odd thing is that all 4 of the remaining starter carts on that side also became unrecognized, so all 5 gave me the flashing error. Re-inserting the original cart made all recognized again.

Today I pulled out the 4 remaining starter carts and replaced them all with the ConeColor carts. Then the LK was recognized and all seemed to work fine. Twice, though, the printer told me the LK cart needed replacing. I pulled the cartridge out and re-inserted it and it was recognized as full. Right now the printer is running okay, but I’m concerned that it could quit on me again. Could it be a bad chip on the cartridge?

Hi Chris~

I’m glad you were protected by the extended warranty to get your printer fixed.

After reviewing your order history, I see your carts were purchased nearly a year ago, so the chip batteries are getting old. It may be an old battery, or possibly worn out chip that’s causing your LK cart recognition issue.
You can find information about the chip batteries, and how to replace them here: http://www.inkjetmall.com/wordpress/product-use/r3000-cartridge-batteries/
and we have new chips and batteries available here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.18/category.84882/.f

I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have further questions, your results, or if there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Junior Member Chris :slight_smile:

You are very welcome- we’re here to help! :slight_smile: