4880 detects carts, won't print

I have, so far, installed LLK and MK cartridges in my 4880. I am able to run nozzle checks, and get a clean result. I do have to click through the two “Non-genuine ink” notices every time I start the printer. I also have to hold the MK cartridge firmly into the slot to get it to be recognized.

When I try to print, even a Windows Test Page, I get two messages in sequence. First, I get a “non-genuine” notice, followed by an inaccurate “Optional Ink Cartridge Notification.” The latter lists Photo Black as installed, even though the driver window correctly shows Matte Black. This aborts the printing process. I have attempted by the two means provided to upload screen shots of these messages, but have been unable to. “Upload Image” gives an error message. “Manage attachments” fills the box with the image I drag to it, and hides the controls.

Any help would be appreciated.

You can go here for help with uploading images to this forum: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?152-How-to-attach-images-to-this-forum

The x880 printers read both MK and PK chips as PK, though you should still be able to print. Some people transfer the Epson cartridge chips to the refill carts (secured with double sided tape) to avoid the “non-genuine” error. I have included information for using Epson chips on refill carts below.

Attach Epson chips to refill cartridges:
Before handling any chips (or really any electrical device for that matter), you should ground yourself and mindful of the clothing you wear, and if you’re working on carpet, etc… as static shock can destroy a chip.

Looking at the chip on the Epson cartridge, you will notice there are two small plastic points that hold the chip in place. Make a note as to which way the chip fits onto the cartridge so you can attach it to the refill cartridge in the same direction. Using a straight razor blade at an angle carefully cut the top of these two points off (be careful not to scratch the gold contacts), which will release the chip so you can carefully pry it off the cartridge using the edge of the blade. You can also use a sharp knife or something similar to pry the chip off the refill cartridge. You will notice the same two points on the refill cartridge where the chip goes (pry the chip off the refill cartridge before attaching the Epson chip in it’s place)- gently line up the Epson chip with these points and attach it to the refill cartridge by using single thickness (not foam or thick) double sided tape. Making sure your hands are clean and dry, press the chip to make sure it is tightly seated and flat/flush on the cartridge. Now, using the chip resetter- reset the chip and insert the cartridge into your printer. NOTE: Installing a cartridge without a chip, or with a crooked chip attached can damage the printer’s chip sensor- so always make sure cartridges have chips secured flat before installing cartridges

Please let me know so I can help you get past this and back to happily printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks, Dana. I’ll check things out when I get the chance, and post the results.

kl

I just installed a new Light Black cartridge from Inkjetmall and I get a “non-genuine” message. Now what? btw - I tried resetting.

• Steve Daniel

It is non-genuine to be sure. :confused: So accept the message. Then you will get a second message asking if you want to print with a non-genuine cartridge. Accept that one too. The arrow keys are your Yes and No.

It’s not asking. Arrows do nothing. The cartridge just blinks.

Never mind. I got it. I didn’t know you have to scroll to read the message. It’s different than the bigger printers.

Thanks.