4880 carts not showing ink level?

I just installed a set of IJM carts into my 4880. Per the instructions, I got the panel message about “non-genuine Epson carts” and acknowledged the message away. However, the panel is not showing the ink levels.

It’s easy enough to visually check the levels and refill as required, but how will I know if I have to reset the carts? If the printer’s not reading the levels, then will I ever have to reset?

—Re below paragraph: never mind, I just saw another thread where Walker discussed this, and mentioned the cardboard shims…at least I figured out what I supposed to do without breaking anything. --Unrelated, but probably of interest for your QC and your manufacturers: the carts I received do not seat very well in the printer; I had to shim them to tighten up the connection in order to stop the “set ink cartridge” messages.

Thanks.

-Mike

1 Like

IJM; QC needed. I had a similar problem before with a 750ml cartridge. To IJM’s credit it was replaced, however with a smaller cart!

Sorry for the late reply on this. @George_Tuton the 700mL carts are too long to properly mold in our opinion. The 350mL are much more rigid and uniform and refilling more often forces agitation of the ink cartridge as well which most people forget to do even though it’s very important to.

@mpward Firmware in the 4880s is the thing that disables ink levels from showing for chips registering as non genuine but the ink light will start blinking once a cart is low. I suggest topping off and resetting all of them that are visually low when you see that. Or you can simply pop genuine Epson chips on the IJM carts (they fit and are resettable by the resetter).

best
Walker

Thanks Walter, Good to know. although my current 700s are fitting fine, just that one anomaly! BTW I’m printing on a 4900 and a 9900. 9900 working fine. the 4900 shows about 80% missing in the 8th line from the top when doing a nozzle check. When I print an RGBCMY target with a complementary field surround with the image set at 360ppi and printing at 720dpi there is a slight missing banding in the C. HOWEVER, when I set the image at 360ppi or 240ppi and print the target at 1440dpi I get no show of missing banding in the C. printing at 1440dpi only uses about 5% more ink! The head is only a few months old at replacement.RegardsGeorge Tuton, Artist at ryanjamesfinearts.com Sculptor, Painter, Photographer, Large Format Printing, Art Consultant, FaceTime, Facebook, Skype

walkerblackwell Beta Tester
November 13 |

Sorry for the late reply on this. @George_Tuton the 700mL carts are too long to properly mold in our opinion. The 350mL are much more rigid and uniform and refilling more often forces agitation of the ink cartridge as well which most people forget to do even though it’s very important to.@mpward Firmware in the 4880s is the thing that disables ink levels from showing for chips registering as non genuine but the ink light will start blinking once a cart is low. I suggest topping off and resetting all of them that are visually low when you see that. Or you can simply pop genuine Epson chips on the IJM carts (they fit and are resettable by the resetter).best
Walker Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply To

George_Tuton InkjetMall Customer
November 12 |

IJM; QC needed. I had a similar problem before with a 750ml cartridge. To IJM’s credit it was replaced, however with a smaller cart! Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond. To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.