4880 and Pizza Wheel Issues

I currently print with the 3880 and the Piezography Warm Neutral. On my semi-gloss paper I have the pizza track problems and have tried with some success the front load method and the various ideas presented in the forums.

I have been considering upgrading to the new Piezography Pro system and only printing matte on the 3880 and buying a 4880 or 7880 for my semi-gloss prints. Finding a 7880 in my area (Vancouver, BC) is like finding a needle in a haystack and also size is a big issue. Instead I have considered a 4880. I understand that it has the vacuum paper holding system like the 7880. However, I have been reading various reports about the 4880 also having the pizza wheel issues and even some suggestions of removing parts of that assembly might fix the problem.

Can anyone verify if in fact the 4880 also has the pizza wheel issues and, if so, is there a way to eliminate that problem either through partially disassembling the wheel mechanism or some other method. I already use the front load method.

Thanks for your advice

Bob

The 3880 pizza wheel issue can be fixed with this procedure that I worked up and that Keith Schreiber wrote up on his blog: How To Disable Star-Wheels On An Epson 3880 – J Keith Schreiber

best,
Walker

The 4880 pizza wheels can be flipped up manually when they drop down after a few seconds of printing. Much easier fix.

best,
W

Walker
Thanks so much
Just so I am absolutely clear if I decide to follow the instructions from jkschreiber is the process for the 4880 similar to that of the 3880?
Thanks
Bob

It is not similar. On the 4880 the wheels drop down after about 4 inches of printing. These wheels are easily pushed back up out of the way after they drop down.

You will see the wheels drop down if you just look into the exit bay area of the printer as a print is starting.

best,
Walker