3880 VM Chip & a strange occurrence with Maintenance cart

Just installed the VM cart I received a while ago. The printer recognized it when inserted, but when the door was closed, it would complain the cart was missing.
Tried several things, including swapping a LC chip I had from the busted cart from before, with the same results. Put the original Epson cart in with the Epson chip to make sure that hadn’t gone bad in the transfer (it hadn’t).

Finally realized that the VM chip had one plastic post that hadn’t been heat-melted to hold the chip down (near the solder connections), so it was being pushed up by the pins and not making good contact. Some tape fixed this, but it’s a temporary solution. The cart now works at least, so I can continue the print job. Since this is a manufacturing defect I’m hoping it’s covered under the warranty.

• If it is, no rush on the replacement since it’s currently working.
  • If not, I’ll buy another…

A strange occurrence though: My maintenance cart now has 98% life. It was at around 33% before all this. Somehow my fussing must have reset it. I’d like to repeat this process if possible…anyone have ideas as to how it might have happened?

Hi tjncooke~

Yes, I will have a replacement VM reset chip sent to you.

I haven’t experienced maintenance tank levels changing unless I’ve reset the chip, so I’m not sure how yours changed… You will want to keep an eye on it, so it doesn’t overflow. We do recommend resetting/reusing maintenance tanks, instead of throwing them away and buying more (it goes hand in hand with our eco-friendly mindset of using refillable carts, and reducing waste). We have 3800/3880 maintenance tank chip resetters here: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.A/id.5753/.f?sc=11&category=27717

The new chip should arrive shortly.
Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: