3880 power clean

Can you tell me approximately how much ink is in one of the ink tubes for the Epson 3880?
Can you also let me know how much ink is used during a power clean for the Epson 3880?

I’m not sure, these questions would be best answered by Epson.

I tried, they didn’t help.

When you say to do 2-3 power cleans to freshen up the ink, what is this based on?

Also, are power cleans harmful to the print heads of the 3880?

Hmmm… Epson can’t answer questions about their own printers?? I would take a guess and say there’s about 5-7ml of ink in each line from cartridge to print head, but I don’t know for sure, nor do I know the total ink used during a power clean cycle.

Power clean cycles are needed when dealing with settled pigment after the printer has sat unused for a period of time (but is best to avoid settled pigment by regularly agitating ink carts and using the printer at least once a week).

It’s possible that excessive cleaning cycles of any kind can be harmful to a printer, but we have done the recommended 3 power cleans when changing inks or flushing our 3800/3880 printers over the years and have not experienced any issues, nor has anyone reported problems after doing this with their 3800/3880 printers.

Best~ Dana

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;4009]Hmmm… Epson can’t answer questions about their own printers?? I would take a guess and say there’s about 5-7ml of ink in each line from cartridge to print head, but I don’t know for sure, nor do I know the total ink used during a power clean cycle.

Power clean cycles are needed when dealing with settled pigment after the printer has sat unused for a period of time (but is best to avoid settled pigment by regularly agitating ink carts and using the printer at least once a week).

It’s possible that excessive cleaning cycles of any kind can be harmful to a printer, but we have done the recommended 3 power cleans when changing inks or flushing our 3800/3880 printers over the years and have not experienced any issues, nor has anyone reported problems after doing this with their 3800/3880 printers.

Best~ Dana[/QUOTE]

Yup, Epson Tech support, hit and miss at best. (Canon is the same for their printers)

On a 3880, in addition to agitating the carts, what print size would you print weekly to keep the ink fresh?

I would say printing at least one letter size print a week, in combination with regular (every week or two) agitation of ink cartridges, regular manual cleaning of the printer, and proper environmental conditions are key to get the longest life and best results from your printer.

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tips…

You are very welcome! :slight_smile:

Newbie follow up question:

When you say regular agitation of ink cartridges, do you mean to pull them out, agitate them and then reinsert them back into the printer? If yes, would this be irrespective of the amount of printing you did?

René

Yes, to agitate 3800/3880 cartridges, you must remove them from the printer. Regular agitation of ink carts, and use of the printer is best to maintain in-suspension ink and have consistent output results.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: