2880 carts not recognized by printer

I was not able to reset my 2880 carts containing piezo-flush. (chip resetter not resetting the carts). all the lights were on adjacent to the carts in the carts slots and the utility listed all the carts as not being recognized by the printer. i turned the printer off and then on and the lights adjacent to the printer went off and i was able to run a cleaning cycle. what’s up with that?

H Jeff~

I just responded to your other similar post. After reviewing your order history, I don’t see that you purchased 2880 carts from us. Please let me know if you purchased the carts and resetter from us under a different name/account, or if you purchased them elsewhere, please understand we can not support products other than our own.

Please let me know, thanks- Dana :slight_smile:

hi Dana
this is jeff rinkoff. i’ve purchased about 5 or six sets of 2880 carts and a resetter from you. please check with wells for my purchase history. cheers, jeff

I apologize for my mistake, I accidentally looked up another client who has a very similar username as you, and didn’t double check.

We have been using these (and several other) carts in our R2880 and other printers over the years, and I have occasionally experienced strange things like the ink lights being on, turning the printer off, then when restarted all carts are read correctly and printing is normal. Sometimes unusual things happen, without explanation, then it somehow corrects it’s self. It’s always a good rule of thumb to restart the printer if something strange occurs, and that usually fixes issues caused by printer confusion.

Is your printer now working correctly, and issue resolved- or is there anything you still need help with?

Please let me know, thanks-Dana :slight_smile:

the strange things are what keeps it all interesting…
i was able to print two head cleanings with flush but i haven’t loaded up new ink carts (i was going to try special edition for the first time) since i wasn’t able to reset the carts with the resetter. help me here, does resetting allow the printer to recognize the carts ? does resetting allow the printer utility to inform one about the ink level in the cart? what happens if i use a cart that didn’t or isn’t reset?
thanks Dana. you’re always tremendously helpful.

Dana, I also don’t understand why the resetter is not resetting.

The resetter should certainly reset the ink levels of your R2880 refill carts.
Is it not working the same on all carts/chips?
What does the resetter do- does the light flash red a few times then turn solid green, or solid red, or flashing green, or no light at all, etc?
Have you tried resetting your resetter by removing the three batteries for a few seconds, then putting the batteries back and trying the resetter again?
Was this resetter working previously, and now not- or has it never worked correctly?
Are you using the resetter as per these instructions for the R2880 model carts?: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?137-The-2013-version-of-the-small-format-cartridge-chip-resetter

Please let me know so I can help figure this out for you.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dana-IJM;2798]The resetter should certainly reset the ink levels of your R2880 refill carts.
Is it not working the same on all carts/chips?
What does the resetter do- does the light flash red a few times then turn solid green, or solid red, or flashing green, or no light at all, etc?
Have you tried resetting your resetter by removing the three batteries for a few seconds, then putting the batteries back and trying the resetter again?
Was this resetter working previously, and now not- or has it never worked correctly?
Are you using the resetter as per these instructions for the R2880 model carts?: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?137-The-2013-version-of-the-small-format-cartridge-chip-resetter

Please let me know so I can help figure this out for you.
Best regards~ Dana :)[/QUOTE]

well, strange thing. i took off the back of the resetter to remove the batteries and there are no batteries. it’s the blue resetter. anyway, it now works!
it had worked before. and when i wrote you, i was getting 2 flashing red lights and then a constant red light. it is a bit technique sensitive and i may have not been using it correctly. i now notice that you have to depress the cart towards the device, not just touch the pins to the cart. i assume the resetting of a cart is independent of whether or not there’s actually ink in the cart although i know you want to reset after filling the cart. is that correct? as always, thanks for your help. hope you guys are staying warm. Jeff

Dana,
i set up a new (refurbished) 2880 today. i am able to print a test page but not an image.

in preferences>print scan, the QuadR2880-K7 remains offline and in the print queue of the QuadR2880-K7, the work order is in but i get the prompt that the printer is not connected.

i hooked up the old 2880, and in preferences>print scan, the QuadR2880-K7 showed as connected.

any ideas?

thanks
Jeff

Are you printing from a Mac? If so, you will need to run the R2880-K7 install command to print to the new printer, even though it’s the same model. The new printer must be on and connected to the computer when you run the install command, for successful install.

In regards to your previous resetter question, just to clarify: the batteries are on the same side of the board that the pins stick out (you have to pull the green computer board out of the plastic case to access the three round batteries). I’m glad it’s working now, though not sure why it wasn’t before. Yes, you have to slightly push the resetter and cartridge chip together for a good connection to successfully reset. The chip is how the printer knows how much ink is in a cart, it can not see the actual ink in the cart. For example, a new/empty cartridge chip reads full, so if you didn’t fill the cartridge and just installed an empty cart, the printer would think it’s full because the chip says so. If you have been using carts, and the printer indicates one is empty and needs to be replaced, if you just remove and reinsert the cart with out refilling, the chip would automatically reset and the printer would see it as full (even though it’s not). For accurate ink level tracking, and to avoid running a cartridge dry, it’s best to only reset cartridge chips when refilling carts with ink- so the physical ink level matches the chip read. I personally like to refill multiple carts at once, so use the chip resetter to manually reset chips after refilling.

I hope this helps, please let me know.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks Dana. I’m away for a few days. Will let you know how the install goes. I assume that I could use the old 2880, the new 2880 and the 3880 off the same computer after that. Correct?

Thanks for explaining the chip resetter questions.

We’re lucky to have you. Thanks again !!

Ps yes I’m working from a Mac Pro running Lion

You can check this out to learn how to install two of the same printer model to be used with QTR: http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?155-Install-and-print-to-more-than-one-of-the-same-model-printer-in-QuadTone-RIP

Please do let me know how it goes, or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Thanks, and we’re lucky to have great customers like you :wink:

All the best~ Dana

Hi Dana, I just returned home and was able to carry out your instructions. I ran the InstallR2880.command after turning on and connecting the new 2880. Unfortunately, I’m having the same problem. The EPSON Stylus Photo 2880-2 is connected and ready in the printer utility. However, the QuadR2880K-7 is still giving me an “Offline” and “printer not connected.” message and I am not able to print. Again, there are work orders in the queue. I’m not sure if this is relevant but in preferences> print scan, there is a 2880 printer and a 2880-2 printer along with a QuadR2880 and QuadR2880K-7. Thanks in advance for your further suggestions. warm regards, Jeff

Did you duplicate the 2880-K7 install command, and name it differently to install the second printer of the same model?
First- connect one 2880 printer and run one install command (make sure it says complete in the Terminal window), then disconnect the first and connect the second- and run the second install command (make sure that one also completes). Then- you can have both printers connected at the same time, and just select one or the other 2880-K7 printer (however you named them to be able to tell them apart) and select curves in QTR as normal.

Hope this helps, best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Dana: Please bear with me a bit. If one refills an empty 2880 cart and reinstalls the cart then the system should read the just filled cart as full, correct? There should be no reason to use the resetter on an empty cart that has been refilled and then installed, right? The only reason to use the chip reset device is if one wants to refill carts that are not yet dry, and install such carts along with the newly filled but previously empty cart. One might want to start printing again with the printer indicating that all carts are full. Correct? Sort of like playing with a full deck…:}

Elliot

Yes, this is correct. I personally like to fill several carts or the whole set at once before I begin a day of printing, so I don’t have to stop several times to refill individual carts as they empty. Some people prefer to have a set of filled carts on hand, so they can just install a full cart and continue printing, then refill the empties later when they have time.

Best~ Dana :slight_smile: