1430 Magenta cast

Looking for help with my 1430…

Similar to the post “1430 Color Management with Lightroom 4”, I’m experiencing a magenta shift on my 1430, especially in the dark blacks and blues… using OEM inks and print houses, the prints were ok. Effect is more pronounced on glossy than matte papers.

I’ve double-checked all the settings, nozzle checks, etc. I’m using the CC supplied ICC profiles on (various) supported papers. The same effect happens with various Photoshop versions, using various versions of Windows. The printer and inks were acquired new in August.

Similar to the post “1430 Color Management with Lightroom 4”, tweaking the color would probably improve things, but I’d like to exhaust other possibilities before going that route (and/or go back to OEM inks).

Any help would be welcome. Thanks!

John

Hi John~

I’ve occasionally experienced this with the 1400 and 1430, with either a magenta or green/cyan cast to shadows, and believe it’s due to trying to print gray with colors (since the 1400/1430 aren’t K3 printers, so don’t have LK + LLK). What intent are you selecting when printing? We typically recommend Realitive Colorimetric with Black Point Compensation on for deep shadows, or Perceptual for lighter/more open shadows. I found that Perceptual looks best with the 1400 and 1430, so if you haven’t already, may want to try that.

What papers/profiles are you using? What Media Type settings are you selecting?

Please let me know so I can try to help you past this and back to happily printing.
Best~ Dana

Thanks for the help, Dana…

I’ve printed a whole pile of 4x6 test prints with a myriad of different settings (colorimetric, perceptual, document, proof, black point on/off), and while these setting change the overall cast of a print, I’m unable to affect the dark shadows. It’s only around 80-90% black that the magenta cast occurs (even when changing the document to a greyscale).

I’ve been using a range of papers, including Moab Entrada Natural (setting: enhanced matte), Moab Lasal Gloss, Epson Premium semi-gloss (setting: ultra premium photo paper luster). Using appropriate cone color icc profiles for both.

Thanks for the update. I would like to make you a custom profile to see if that helps. Since you say the issue is worse on glossy paper, let’s try the gloss or semi-gloss papers you’ve been using.
Go here to download the printable targets and follow printing instructions for printing targets to have custom color profile made, then mail the targets to me and I will email you the profile to try: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.A/id.6836/.f

Please let me know if you have questions, or there’s anything else I can help you with.
Best~ Dana

Thanks for the directions, Dana - I’ll send in some PK targets…

In the meantime, I’ve been making use of your recently released profiles specifically for the 1430 (I believe previously they were shared with the 1400). The PK prints are working much better than the previous profiles, and the MK are almost neutral. However, I’d love to make use of my stack of Moab (or Canson) papers, so I’ll cast my vote for the list of profiles to be expanded to match that of the 1400, including the Entrada and Lasal papers…

Thanks

If you were using the CCK3-1400 profiles with your 1430 printer, then it makes sense that you had a color shift, because the two models use different profiles.
I didn’t think to check this, since we had released the 1430 profiles before your initial post, so I just assumed you were using them…

I’m glad to hear using the correct profiles specific to your printer model is working better :slight_smile:

Best regards and happy printing~ Dana :slight_smile: