1400 cartridge capacity... really?

I finally got around to using the empty 1400 cartridges I ordered a good while back. Following the packaged instructions I attempted to put 15ml into the first cartridge. I’m using a 12ml syringe as that’s what I’ve got in my darkroom. I was getting some bubbles coming out of the fill hole once the 12mls were in. When I attempted to put the next 3ml in I got overflow right away. (and a mess of course - luckily over the big sink in the darkroom so no harm done)

I used a needle to insert the ink, slooowly into the cartridge. The needle was positioned about halfway down the front of the cartridge (bottomed, then withdrawn slightly). I held the cartridge at an angle with the fill hole uppermost. Ink was injected slowly. I watched the ink flow and fill the various voids and tapped the cartridge gently with my fingers. Even being very careful, I found I could get only about 12ml into it without overflowing.

So, how much ink will go in really?

Once I finished filling them I let them sit for an hour or so while I cleaned up and installed the waste ink bottle on the printer. Upon firing up the printer, all cartridges were recognized and I’m happy to say that after a couple of nozzle checks the printer seems to perform well. (so far only a couple of QTR test sheets printed…)

Dave

Our carts have a larger capacity than the Epson carts.

Our carts hold about 12ml which is nearly 1ml more than the OEM cartridges. But, they will register empty just like the OEM when 2-3 ml is still remaining. So your refill may only be 8 - 10ml. Never over fill!

Thanks for the reply Jon. Good to know.

The instructions with that came with the 1400 carts said to use 15ml. Perhaps they need editing.

[QUOTE=David Swinnard;10142]Thanks for the reply Jon. Good to know.

The instructions with that came with the 1400 carts said to use 15ml. Perhaps they need editing.[/QUOTE]

editing in some way. But, we would not want to tell you to take 12.1ml of ink as you would inject air into the cart eventually trying to get the last 0.5 ml into the cart - So the 15ml is the correct amount - you could draw 20ml even - so that the syringe has enough ink to allow you to complete the task.

We just need a way to say do not over fill - and that the carts will take about 12.5ml when empty. There is no way of course to be able to instruct you to refill the cart a second time with an exact amount because the amount remaining varies.

We’ll come up with some verbiage that makes it more clear.

Thanks!

Jon

[QUOTE=jon;10148]snip—> We just need a way to say do not over fill - and that the carts will take about 12.5ml when empty. There is no way of course to be able to instruct you to refill the cart a second time with an exact amount because the amount remaining varies.

We’ll come up with some verbiage that makes it more clear. <—snip[/QUOTE]

That sounds like the ticket. Thanks!

Thanks for your feedback!