Prints getting warmer

and as an aside, something is amiss with posting. I get an error each time I post but the post goes through.

In the last month or so (I’ve been here a little over a moth) I’ve seen Dana work every. single. extra. hour that she has when she’s not managing the first digital print-lab on earth (Cone Editions) building a new system of Piezography. I can tell you, it’s amazing. But I’m going to let her announce details. It is a ver complex R&D job. It’s almost impossible to describe how much time it takes to build an entirely new piezography system that is stable and does what you want it to do chemically, visually, physically.

yes, we will be posting roadmap on our blog (with regular updates) soon.

//

edit, after reading back a bit, and because now I feel like a need to make some crystal clear:

Dear Jeff: This board is here to support customers of IJM and (related to this thread) the community of people who are interested in Piezography and thus bringing their printers to a quality and resolution MUCH HIGHER than K3 OEM. Please remember that.

There are many factors that create a clog and sediment IS one of them. Older inks (both Epson and IJM) do expire after many years. However in my 12 years of being an IJM CUSTOMER using Piezography ink in particular (the topic of this thread), it went from a lot of clogs in the non-encapsulated PiezotoneQuad days to way way less clogs than OEM once K7 and encapsulation came out. ConeColor has same tech.

IJM created pigment ink for Epson printers before Epson did and still does for some printers (Epson 1400 for example). We take clogs and sedimentation and all the rest of it dead-serious. We do a whole battery of tests on every single ink batch created (over 100 different inks). When we sell ink for people who own Epson printers we open ourselves up to the very issues that plague owners of all Epson printers (nozzle clogs) and there will always be people who want to blame the cheapest common denominator (the ink) instead of the things that hit every printer (badly designed printers and people using them improperly.) The last lab I ran was at Light Work in syracuse. I had 16 epson printers. 14 of them ran epson OEM ink and I have had more head-trouble with those 14 printers than the 2 running IJM ink.

The reason why our products support Epson printers is because they have Piezoelectric heads that allow very different and advanced chemistry to print correctly as apposed to thermal heads that define very narrow ranges of ink that work. We don’t go with Epson printers for their legendary reliability or their stellar business practice of building machines that die a month after their warranty expires.

That is why we are actively working on engineering solutions that will actually allow a printer to function BETTER than it was designed for. The new P600 CISS that we just released is a good example. You will never have to take a cartridge out and break a seal. When a cart resets, you simply lift the printer cover and place it back down. No air-locks anymore.

You know those 16 printers I mentioned above? Half of them arrived at Light Work as donations because their heads had died. I rescued all of them with Piezoflush and refill carts . . . . did the same thing at Latitude in Chicago before that, and at Black Point Editions in Chicago before that (with refill carts and homebrew flush because Piezoflush wasn’t made yet).

Walker

Walker,

That’s very fine obfuscation. I don’t believe that I mentioned clogs, only sedimentation. I don’t care what Dana is working on, I was referring to a post on GO where she said she would experiment further and then report back

When I started out with Piezography, I had a first failed attempt with an old 2400. I asked and was told that it should be fine before I started - it wasn’t. I then invested in a 3880 only to discover the issue with ink lines and sedimentation. It was only after a protracted lot of posts that the real issue became clear. That is when I decide to get an R2000.

My point is that IJM should, but does not, spell out what is required for trouble free, repeatable printing with various printers. Things like ‘don’t expect an old printer to work without a few challenges’ and ‘don’t expect repeatability on ink line printers without regular flushing and testing’

Feel free to delete this. I don’t really care but I do not appreciate BS baffles brains.

I don’t bs. You were right I wasn’t reading your statement correctly. Not bs’ing though. Just reacting to the five or so nozzle clog issues I helped resolve off and online (4 of which were epson OEM).

Sediment shift of old inks can be more noticeable in neutrals than colors especially at K7 frequencies so it’s a hard comparison.

I’m not going to delete your post, it’s valid and this is an open forum. I see you felt bad about using our inks on some old printers with sedimentation that didn’t work. We aren’t right all the time. Most of the time fixing old printers with Piezoflush works . . . Glad your R2000 is working.

Dana’s post on GO ended up bringing her to were she is now with her current work. It’s tied together. We don’t want to promise anything we can’t follow through on but I can say it’s just about to be public. Stay tuned.

best,
Walker

Thanks Walker. I’m glad that we are back on the same page. I really am interested in what Dana is doing with GO, although abandoning IGFS is probably a good step. I was seriously considering going back to K3 for gloss until I rediscovered Platine.

Here’s what they think about sedimentation with Epson inks on LuLa: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=103198.0