New User - Cart Drained w/out Printing - Epson r2880

In my case please remember that I’m on the other side of the world, so this takes time. And in my case the decision to send only came (on the forum) a day or two ago. I was promised (here) instructions on how to send, which I haven’t seen. I assumed these would come meant by email? I could just post them now, but was waiting for instructions, and once I do you’re going to have to allow at least a week.

I’m a little surprised about how much effort you’re putting into testing, and am appreciative. Seems like a lot, but that’s your call I guess. The more I think about it the more I think that there must be a common factor in those printers that are displaying these problems, hence my theory about a batch of print heads.

I know these carts can work well. In the studio I’ve got also got an R1900 which is effectively the same printer uses the same carts. Which makes the behaviour of the R2880 all the more frustrating.

[Note that JMiller may or may not be “Jeff” but he is not JeffG53, with whom I’ve been collaborating on other matters and other printers and you’ve been emailing.]

Here is the latest on our end from Kelly in Tech…

1.Filled 1 set of carts with CCPRO-PK (5 different lot#s just in case it was an ink issue)
2.Tested them in “new” Refurb 2880 printer - Printed 40 test prints at 1440 dpi, no issues, good NC’s
3.Installed same cartridges in OLD testing printer, did 3 head cleanings, Good NC
4.Printed 40 prints same as above, everything looking good
5.Installed 2nd set of cartridges filled with CCPRO-PK lot.121106 into OLD 2880, ran 3 head cleanings, BAD nozzle check across the board, lifted cover and found leaking ink ALL over the inside of printer! VERIFIED COMPLAINT
6.Cleaned capping station, wiper blade and bottom of print head, all where terribly gummed up with pigment
7.Re-installed 1st set of cartridges, 3 head cleanings, NC-GOOD
8.Printed 20 test prints, good
9.Re-inserted 2 set of test carts, 3 cleaning cycles, NC-GOOD
10.Printed 20 test prints, all good!

Conclusion-If the capping station is old or gummed up with pigment, as well as the wiper blade then the printer cannot effectively clean the bottom of the print head, leading to “wicking” of ink from the carts and eventually dripping ink onto prints. I feel the common denominator here is older printers, either maintained or not that have dried up capping stations and worn out wiper blades that cannot do their jobs effectively. Once I cleaned the capping station thoroughly and verified it was in deed sucking the fluid out and cleaned the wiper blade, thoroughly and the bottom of the print head 3x, all was good again. I do remember this was one of the reasons I put this machine to rest, in addition to it having consistent missing nozzles on the PK & LLK channels. It was wasting too much of my time and with 3 other refurbs in boxes, it was wiser to switch to testing on a new refurb.

I will let it set over night with the 2nd set of carts that had the leaking issue to begin with (that are working fine after cleaning the printer) to see if they leak out over night. Tomorrow, I will test the 3rd set of carts before cleaning to see if I can get them to do the same thing as the 2nd set.

FYI I did not receive your package containing replacement carts until today & it is only a few days since my last unsuccessful attempt to use IJM carts (Sat aft. until Tuesday pm!) I will respond as soon as I can. I appreciate your attention to my (& Brian’s) dilemma & am also surprised at, but grateful for, the amount of effort and testing being done to investigate. As a typical consumer, I hope that manufacturers put lots of resources towards R&D and quality control; in fact, I expect it, and I don’t feel it justified that any pressure to accomplish this should be directed at me. Also, as a typical consumer, I don’t care where a product that works is manufactured, could be China, could be my neighbor’s backyard: as long as it works, dependably, affordably, and so forth. Imagine that the buyers of your product have multiple responsibilities, some of which do not involve being tethered to a printer. Carts in question will be coming your way. My name is not Jeff; user name JMiller will do — JM also works.

Sorry, JM!! I confused your thread with another person having the same problem and I confused you both! Dana had been working on the other for quite some time and asked me to look in. I must have looked in on the wrong thread. :frowning: But same problem.

I would not use the replacement carts until you do a thorough cleaning of your capping station, wiper blade and print head.

The real Jeff is happily printing!

but not on an R2400 …

Will do: hopefully, later today. In any case, I should be able to get the first carts en route back to you.

Hi everyone, Jon posted my testings/findings in #22, these threads are getting very lengthy with conversation and speculations about what could be the problem(s). I am going to work on putting together one main thread that will show all the users complaints, then post the testing results at the end. This way if a customer is looking for this issue through a search, they will be able to see all the users common concerns in one place, without having to look at several separate threads.

My conclusion and the common denominator here is older printers with worn out Capping Stations/Wiper blade and pumps. I am ordering a Pump assembly today to replace in our OLD R2880 to verify the repair (fingers crossed), this is an inexpensive solution to get another year or 2 out of your older 2880 printers. Compass Micro sells these pump assemblies for $48.78 and can be ordered here https://www.compassmicro.com/parts_detail.cfm?ID=4846&form.mfg=Epson&form.printerstyle=Inkjet&form.printername=Stylus%20Photo%20R2880

I will post my progress and results after replacing the pump assembly, until then I would recommend cleaning your printer thoroughly every 100 prints or so, BEFORE you have leaking ink all over the inside of the printer.

Thank you all for being patient as we work this out and come to a resolve and offer our users a solution. Keeping your printers running, clean and trouble free is our goal, same holds true for our printers here in the studio and R&D, without this we wouldn’t have a product to stand behind.

Kindly,
Kelly

JMiller, I received your cartridges yesterday (PK & VM), I cleaned them up and refilled them, installed them in our current R2880 used in R&D, ran 40 prints with no problems, installed them into the OLD R2880 that I duplicated the leaking/draining problem with previously, ran 40 prints and had no problems. I will continue running prints at least 40 more to duplicate you problems. Can you please report your findings after replacing these 2 cartridges with the ones I sent you? Thank you-Kelly

For me, the test would be letting the carts sit in one or other of those printers for a day or two, once you have them working, rather than churning out a lot of prints. Based on my recent experiences, if a cart is leaking badly, you’ll spot it fairly quickly, but if a cart is leaking slowly, you’ve got to give it a chance to do so.

I posted my findings/testing conclusions on this thread, closed it and added a new thread in the discussions to keep the discussions off the COMMON thread http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/showthread.php?1246-COMMON-THREAD-Older-2880-Printer-Cartridge-issues

I posted my findings/testing conclusions on this thread, closed it and added a new thread in the discussions to keep the discussions off the COMMON thread http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/showthread.php?1246-COMMON-THREAD-Older-2880-Printer-Cartridge-issues