Just won't work

Dana,

I just spoke to Wells,. I ordered a cleaning kit.

Maybe I am being too literal with my understanding. What is a “Manual Nozzle Check” ?? as I said to Wells according to my Epson Printer Utility 4 ver 9.00 (9.29) the only options available to me are !. Epson Status monitor - more on that later -2. Auto Nozzle Check & Cleaning 3. Nozzle Check 4. Head Cleaning 5. Print head alignment. Nowhere does it say “Manual” or is that just #3. If you say manual, I look for manual. There is a button that says “Manual head cleaning” - as I showed you - ,however clicking on it merely runs the same head cleaning as in the the print utility.

As far as the cart levels go. According to the status monitor black was a third full, when in fact it was absolutely empty and no light above the cart and no warning that the ink was low. I did run a nozzle check and only three of the channels printed with only LC,Lk, and C printing completely k, Mag, ,lm only printing about 1/3 of the lines. The rest were blank.

I will refill the carts with the ink I have left and try it again. See what happens and then I guess I will have to wait for cleaning kit. Which by then would make this ordeal a two week exercise.

Thanks,

vollick

Dana, I apologize if I seem overly frustrated in all this. I just spent over $6,000 on new MacPro which hasn’t worked properly since I got it. I am dealing with Apple on yet another long distance tech support problems. - yes, it has been in the shop twice - They are dragging their feet as what’s wrong and what to do about it. This has also been going on for about a month. So, I have just about had my fill with tech support in general.

I made a screen capture of the R2880 Utility 4 window, showing the different selections for Auto nozzle check + cleaning, and Manual nozzle check (labeled in red). The Manual nozzle check isn’t called “manual nozzle check”, but is literally a nozzle check printout that you check manually/visually instead of the “Auto”, which the printer reads then does auto cleaning if it detects a missing nozzle.

I understand your frustration, and certainly know how irritating it can be when something new doesn’t work as it should (especially like in your case, when you’re dealing with multiple issues at the same time)- but please know: 1. your experience is not normal (we literally have hundreds of customers happily printing with these carts), and 2. we are here to help!!

Please keep me posted.
Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Dana,

This would be funny , if it weren’t so frustrating. Refilled the carts, all were recognized. Did the paper towel head cleaning exercise thing. Paper towel was not dirty at all - very slight smudges, mostly yellow and cyan, greenish color - tried to run a nozzle check. It then tells me it doesn’t recognize Vm and yellow - reinstall carts, then Ok. it then tells me - according to the status monitor - that the inks are about 2/3 used up. Visual check check reveals all are full. Try to run another nozzle check, this time it tells me it doesn’t recognize black and cyan - reinstall, OK. I try to run nozzle check and it tells me “General Error”, … that’s pretty informative !. I turn it off and then back on, all lights on top of the printer are on - paper & ink drop. Any and all buttons are ineffective. Try to run a nozzle check and it again tells me it doesn’t recognize the cyan cart. So far I have not run any nozzle checks at all, but it is using ink any way. I to run clean it does, but pattern is still spotty and faint, it tells me it can’t continue cleaning because it doesn’t recognize yellow and lt cyan.

I gave up. I’ll wait for the cleaning kit.

vollick

As per your last status monitor, the VM and Y carts were reading the lowest ink levels, so it’s not that your printer didn’t recognize the carts, but estimated the carts were empty based on chip read. As per our instructions, the refillable cartridges have auto reset chips. Ink levels readings will go down just like Epson carts, but when a refill chip reads empty or nearly empty, the ink level is reset to full when the cartridge is removed and reinserted (and the cartridge should be refilled with ink at this time, so the physical cartridge ink level matches the chip reading). Also, every time you remove and reinsert carts, the printer does an auto cleaning cycle, which will make the ink levels go down. You can use a chip resetter to manually reset the chips to read full if you like to refill them all at once (I prefer manually resetting chips, and many customers do as well, so carts can be refilled/reset all at once, instead of dealing with one cart reading empty at a time). If you try to run a nozzle check when the power light is flashing (when the printer is busy, like right after reinstalling the carts, while the printer is doing it’s auto cleaning cycle), it will display a “general error”. Are the ink and paper lights on steady or flashing? If flashing, are they flashing at the same time, or alternately? If flashing together, you have some sort of jam, but if flashing alternately, then your waste ink sensor has gone off, and needs to be reset (along with either replacing the internal waste ink pads in the bottom of the printer, or installing an external waste in bottle to prevent additional waste ink from going into the bottom of your printer).

~Dana

Dana,

Thanks for the reply. However now I am not sure whether I learned anything, or I am just confused on a higher level. You seem to be able to ascertain as to what it means as to what it says. To you “cart not recognized” can mean out of ink or another problem I can only go by what it says “Cart not Recognized” it doe not elaborate as to why. The only constant I see is regardless of the problem the result is “uses more ink”.

Yesterday, I refilled and reinstalled ALL the carts - the second set - all carts were recognized and the status monitor showed all were full. I didn’t know what to run first, so I ran a manual nozzle check. It got about 1/2 way through and THEN told me it didn’t recognize a cart and couldn’t continue, I removed and reinstalled the cart and it was then recognized. I attempted to run another no nozzle check - I had to run something - it then told me it didn’t recognize another cart, I again removed it and reinstalled it, it was then recognized. in-between these attempts is when I got the “General Error” as I was trying to get the print head to the replace carts position. Both lights were solid, no flashing, there was no paper involved. It was then I opened the status monitor and it showed most of the inks were way down, the only full ones were the ones I reinstalled. Even though in the beginning ALL registered full.

Is there any other way to get a cart to be recognized WITHOUT removing it and reinstalling it ? Are you telling me I now need to buy a chip resetter ? I wish I had go bought everything at once, whether or not I needed it it. This time difference and coast to coast shipping times are killing me. I am now almost out of ink and I haven’t made 5 prints yet.

I hope the cleaning kit settles all this. What should have been a simple transition has turned into a monetary and logistical nightmare. It shouldn’t be this hard.

I think your products are worthy. I am sure somewhere there is a person with a 2880 and your carts and inks that is truly happy. I am hoping to be as well.

Thanks for expertise and time.

vollick

I am really annoyed with this form design, why is there a time out ?? it says to refresh but WHERE ? did the person who designed this forum also used to work for Epson ?

My name is Kelly, I will be filling in for Dana while she is away on maternity leave.

[QUOTE=vollick;4550]
You seem to be able to ascertain as to what it means as to what it says. To you “cart not recognized” can mean out of ink or another problem I can only go by what it says “Cart not Recognized” it doe not elaborate as to why. The only constant I see is regardless of the problem the result is “uses more ink”.

I have read through your extensive communications over the past several days. The above ? (I’m reading it as a ? & not a statement) When you receive this message “Cart not Recognized”, you need to select your Status monitor in your Utility to determine if in fact it’s out of ink, which you will clearly see the levels of each ink position. If you remove the cartridge, refill it, then re-install into printer and continue getting the same error, then you probably have a faulty chip. Every single time you take a cart out & re-install it, the printer runs a cleaning cycle,as Dana has explained. To avoid this happening, you need a Chip Resetter so you can manually reset the chips after re-filling them. You should also at this time purchase an external Waste Bottle so you don’t fill up your waste pad in the bottom of the printer. Neither of these items are crucial to the performance of your system and not every customer needs to purchase them, BUT in this case I think it’s a wise idea so we can resolve your problems at once and not prolong this any further.

1st we need to get your printer printing a Good nozzle check, that is the main concern at this point. And I do believe after manually cleaning the head with the cleaning attachment, cleaning the capping station, wiper blade and bottom of print head with flush, you should have a good NC. At which point you should install the waste bottle kit, re-fill your carts, re-set them with the resetter & install them into the printer. Let the printer run through it’s cycle, do 1 regular head cleaning and then check your Nozzles (manually). It would be wise to let the printer sit for 20 minutes after this procedure to let the air in the cartridges settle, you should get a good NC and be set to print at that point.

Kelly,

Hello, Thanks for the response. I just got an e-mai; from Wells say a chip resetter and waste bottles was in route , Thank You. As soon as all this new parts arrive I will do as you say.

Yes, the communications have been extensive and to this point, the results futile. What I am having the biggest problem with my situation is the inconsistency and capriciousness of the problem. One moment a cart is recognized the next moment the same cart is not, and another is not, and it switches around to yet another. Each time running another cycle and using more ink. I have used almost all of my in just tying to get this to work. As far as the status monitor goes, it first tells me all carts are full, I run one test and then it shows ink down by 2/3, visual inspection the shows them to be still full, although the status monitor continues to show volume way down. Will a chip resetter alleviate this ?

Good luck to Dana. I hope everything works out well for her. At least she won’t have to be dealing with me for a while.

Thanks,

vollick

Yes, a chip resetter will eliminate the chips reading inaccurately, the reason they are inaccurate at this point is because of all the auto cleanings, refilling, re-installing, more cleanings (the printer automatically performs after re-installing carts). Your chips & printer are now thoroughly confused! You need to start from square one, follow these steps when you receive the head cleaning kit, waste bottle kit & resetter:

1.Watch this video http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?138-Small-format-cleaning-kit

2.after cleaning printer, install waste bottle kit instructions here http://shopping.netsuite.com/c.362672/site/techdocs/Waste-Ink-Bottle-email.pdf

3.Remove Cartridges & refill then Reset with Resetter using these instructionshttp://shopping.netsuite.com/c.362672/site/techdocs/ACC-RESETTER-7P_2013.pdf & install into printer

4.Printer will perform a cleaning cycle after pushing the ink change button to load the fresh carts (with chips reset)
watch for waste ink entering waste bottle to verify correct installation

5.Verify chips are reading full on the status monitor

6.Perform 1-3 “manual” cleaning cycles, perform Nozzle checks after each

7.If there are still missing nozzles after 3 cleaning cycles, let printer set for 20 mins and perform another Nozzle check

Best of luck, our fingers are crossed, let me know how it turns out.
Kelly

Kelly,
While I am waiting for everything to show up, a few questions.

What are the 4 little nozzle like things for, in a little plastic bag ? In the ink cart there are two chambers, the main chamber and a smaller one directly under the air hole should BOTH be filled with ink ? and When I get my chip resetter do I reset the cart every time I fill it and will this prevent the printer from running a cleaning cycle ?

Thanks,

vollick

Those are priming tips, used for priming other types of cartridges, not intended for use on the 2880 carts.

The small chamber under the air vent hole needs to be empty to allow the air to enter the cartridge, if it’s filled with ink the cartridge won’t allow ink to flow out of the cart into the print head.

Yes, when you refill your cartridges you will reset the chips so the cartridge reads full. When you remove & re-install ANY cartridge the printer will run an auto clean cycle, SO to prevent this from happening multiple times, simply refill ALL the cartridges and reset them ALL at once, then the printer only performs this function one time, instead of multiple times due to one cart at time being refilling/resetting. Does this make sense?

Kelly,

Yes it does. I haven’t filled the air hole chamber, I was just wondering if I was supposed to. The cleaning kit arrived today, now waiting on the re-setter.

Thanks,

vollick

Kelly,

Now I am completely confused - in a pleasant way for a change. I still have not received the chip resetter yet. So, I haven’t done anything with the printer since 4, Aug. no prints, no tests, no cleaning cycles, NOTHING. I decided to run a test print today - 7, Aug. - just so I would have a comparison print before and after I used the flush kit, cleaned the print head, cleaned the capping station and started from “Square one” as you suggested. The print test was still faint and yellow was not great. I then decided to just make a regular print. I use a test print I got from Kodak - you can see all the attempts in previous posts - The results I got were incredible, some of the best printing this printer has ever done. I also printed one of my old promo pieces, because I was tired of looking at the Kodak print. The first print looked pretty good - Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl 1440 dpi, Ilford ICC profile ,printed through Photoshop - the only problem was faint horizontal lines through the entire print. I printed a second print, with the same properties except this time at 5750 dpi - I never print at that res, just this one time - the print looks EXACTLY like my screen, and this time no lines, except for one line about 1/2 in from the bottom. On both the shot of Cathryn and the Kodak, same spot.

Again, this is with absolutely nothing done between now and then. The printer is printing better than it has in along time. OK, explain that !

Now, I am afraid to touch it. Should I attempt to flush it and all the other things , or should I just let sleeping dogs lie?

I’m looking forward to this answer,

Thanks

vollick

Did you verify a GOOD nozzle check 1st?

Kelly,

Yes, I did. But I called it a print test not a nozzle check. It was faint and the yellow was weak and spotty.

vollick

Kelly,

It’s been since *, Aug. since I have heard back from you. PLEASE answer my questions. BTW, I received my chip resetter. How ever I couldn’t seem to get it to work, No green light only a brief red light flash and then nothing. What is the additional blue plastic piece for ? I couldn’t seem to find a position where it would fir.

Thanks,

vollick

Vollick,

You answered your own question, I asked if you got a GOOD nozzle check and your response was “It was faint and the yellow was weak and spotty”
This does not indicate a GOOD nozzle check, you have misfiring nozzles, please perform a regular Nozzle check through your printer Utility the one that says “Nozzle Check” This was your original issue to begin with (clogged nozzles) and this is why we recommended the head cleaning kit, and cleaning your printers Capping Station, Wiper blade and bottom of the print head. Have you done that cleaning yet?

As for the resetter, you are simply not lining it up on the cartridge correctly, that plastic piece is a guide to help with that, read the instructions provided herehttp://shopping.netsuite.com/c.362672/site/techdocs/ACC-RESETTER-7P_2013.pdf

I am filling in for our regular Tech Support person, in addition to performing my regular duties, I have limited time to provide support. If you can’t figure out how to perform your cleaning with the Head Cleaning kit or reset your cartridges with the resetter we are will to offer you a full refund in exchange for the return of your items. I hope we can resolve these problems, we have certainly tried to help you to this point, please re-read the instructions for the resetter, read the procedure for the head cleaning here http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/content.php?138-Small-format-cleaning-kit

Kelly,

Thanks for all your help. But I have had it. I tried what you said. I completely cleaned the capping station, cleaned the wiper blade, did the head flush, and reset the carts. I do feel a little stupid about the resetter. I thought the blue plastic adapter was used ALONG with the resetter, I didn’t realize that the adapter that was already on it had to come off and be replaced by the other included adapter. Once I did that I did receive a green light once the carts were refilled. Before I did any of cleaning I did try to run a nozzle check. Again, it was weak and spotty. I tried to run another and the printer just wouldn’t stop, it just kept running, starting and stopping running and running it must have run continually for about 10 minutes before it printed a sheet. It was a disaster a solid black bar the width and length if the usual pattern. I tried another, same results.

I then removed all the carts to do another cleaning and discovered that the BLK cart had leaked all the ink out. A closer inspection revealed the front panel of the cart - below the connections - was loose. I replaced it with the BLK cart from the first group. I refilled all the carts, got a green light from them all. I tried to print a nozzle check and was told the printer didn’t recognize ANY cart, none of them. I took them all out to make sure they were still full - they were. Reset them all, all got green lights and again NONE were recognized. It won’t print a nozzle check. Is there any other reason a cart won’t be recognized other than low ink, or not reset ?

What I really don’t understand is how could this all happen after printing some near perfect prints. Turning it off for 2 days, turning it back on and have totally different results.

If you can’t think of any thing else it could be I will take you up on your offer of a refund. I will box up everything and send it back. Do I send it to the Miller Store Rd. Address ?

Again, thanks for all your help. I really wanted this to work.

vollick