Epson 2880 - major problem - Streaking after major cleaning

I have that manual. I believe it is for several models and the pictures aren’t always for the 2880. I am not a technician so if it is not detailed enough, I get a little skittish.

Well, I don’t know about the R2000, but the R1900 and R2880 are physically the same printers, so that’s why they share a manual. I have one of each sitting right here.

If the manual isn’t adequate, did you try youtube?

I have seen that video. It is not a 2880. If the 2880 is similar, they don’t show how to take out the second ink guide. I don’t see the two screws, which, I assume, are under that second ink guide. Without that, I can’t seem to access the end of the cable.

Websnail, on the Printerknowledge forum, found this. I saw it last week but forgot what was on it. I might look at it tonight but probably won’t get to it until Friday.

You’re right. I searched on R2880 but missed the fact that the video was an R2400. But the one that you found is an R2000, and I suspect that’s slightly different too, even though it shares a service manual with the R1900 & R2880. I suspect that the R2880 is simpler, but I haven’t had the need to try it yet and I’m not about to any time soon.

Another search tip. These printers are popular with the DTG (direct to garment) crowd, who use them to print on t-shirts and the like. They use them in a highly modified form. But as they wear out heads and other parts a lot faster than the rest of us, they have a lot more maintenance videos. I eventually found the only video on how to replace the head on a 2100/2200 on a DTG site.

Following my own advice, I think the Anajet FP-125 DTG device is based on the R1800/R1900/R2800 chassis. If that’s right, then this page has instructions and a video showing print head removal. Obviously you ignore the bits at the beginning that related to opening up the device. The relevant bits start at 2:20

http://www.garmentprinterink.com/Anajet-Garment-Printer-Support/anajet-sprint-print-head-replacement.html

If there are still differences, you need to find a DTG device that is based on the R2880, and there’s sure to be a print head removal video somewhere, as they seem to replace them frequently.

[I’m being obsessive about this as I have two machines - R1900 & R2880, and you never know when you might need to dismantle or replace a head.]

The video is not usefull for the 2880 as it does not have an ink guide that needs to be removed.

I believe the part I am trying to remove is called the CSIC Assembly (Assy).

Update. I am continuing to work on this but I just bought a refurbished model 2880 directly from Epson with a 1 year limited warranty for $349.00.

I did the same thing just a month ago. I’ve been happy with it so far. Set 1 of refill carts went in with no problem. (I didn’t even touch the Epson ones.) I hope the replacement works for you!

I should have the recently purchased refurbished 2880 up and running this afternoon. Now that I have the printhead out of the original machine, is there a particular manner in which that should be cleaned? I should be getting a replacement for the destroyed second guide in a few days.

Hi everyone, Jon posted my testings/findings in #22 under the New User - Cart Drained w/out Printing - Epson r2880

These threads are getting very lengthy with conversation and speculations about what could be the problem(s). I am going to work on putting together one main thread that will show all the users complaints, then post the testing results at the end. This way if a customer is looking for this issue through a search, they will be able to see all the users common concerns in one place, without having to look at several separate threads.

My conclusion and the common denominator here is older printers with worn out Capping Stations/Wiper blade and pumps. I am ordering a Pump assembly today to replace in our OLD R2880 to verify the repair (fingers crossed), this is an inexpensive solution to get another year or 2 out of your older 2880 printers. Compass Micro sells these pump assemblies for $48.78 and can be ordered here https://www.compassmicro.com/parts_d…0Photo%20R2880

I will post my progress and results after replacing the pump assembly, until then I would recommend cleaning your printer thoroughly every 100 prints or so, BEFORE you have leaking ink all over the inside of the printer.

Thank you all for being patient as we work this out and come to a resolve and offer our users a solution. Keeping your printers running, clean and trouble free is our goal, same holds true for our printers here in the studio and R&D, without that we wouldn’t have a product to stand behind.

Kindly,
Kelly

I posted my findings/testing conclusions on this thread, closed it and added a new thread in the discussions to keep the discussions off the COMMON thread http://www.inkjetmall.com/tech/showthread.php?1246-COMMON-THREAD-Older-2880-Printer-Cartridge-issues