P400 error lights...do I dare call Epson if they want me to update firmware

When I bought my inkjetmall carts for my new P400, I was told to never update the firmware update. I installed the carts with Piezo Pro inks, got a good nozzle check, and then sometime after that, but before printing a photo, error lights showed up. The manual says this configuration of lights (power light is off, and paper and ink lights flashing) indicates that the print head is obstructed. It suggests turning off the printer, and back on again. If the error persists, contact Epson. There is no obvious obstruction. I have turned it off and on many times with no success. I noticed that when I originally installed the carts, it was very hard to press them into place till they snapped in. I wonder if that caused damage. I just took out all the carts, and replaced them with the Epson color carts (which snapped into place easily). This didn’t solve the problem.

So now I don’t know what to do. Should I call Epson, and not mention that I put in third party inks? And what if they say to update the firmware. Since it is a new printer, maybe the firmware is already updated…how can I tell if I have the latest version. (My version is FA14HC 05.23).

Help me OB1 Walker, you are my only hope.

You may have messed up your head position.

These carts should not be force down. Squeeze the spring-loaded lock in with your finger and it will slip into place very easily.

What I suggest, turn off printer, turn on printer. The second you hear the gears turn on (lifting the print-head) unplug the printer. See if you can move the printhead carriage back and forth manually. If no, you must likely damaged your print head position by pushing too hard.

-Walker

The print head moves readily during startup. It moves slowly all the way to the left, then all the way to the right. Then the error lights come on.

When the printer is off, I can move the print head manually. I can even move it when it’s on.

If you have move the head when it is off this means that it is not lowering into it’s lock position. This is what is causing the error. Something is wonky with the home lock area (where it lowers before the printer turns off).

-Walker

OMG, I don’t know what happened, but it’s working. While the print head was slowly moving to the left during startup, I pushed gently on the edge of the home lock area. Not sure if this did anything to make it work, but who cares.

See just your attention on it, and things start to work again. Much gratitude, Walker.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue (in regards to the lights) and have restarted the printer several times now. Nothing’s helping. Used the suggestion here on checking the printhead carriage, nothing. It just stopped/crashed when I wanted to print something out. Held onto the paper midway just as it was about to print on it and turned on the lights, both ink and paper flashing simultaneously. Please help, I need this specific printer to work for my business and have orders to fulfill for which I need this printer!
It printed fine just an hour ago, I did nothing different…