Solved: Difference btwn cleaning cycles and initial fill

What is the difference - when you are trying to unclog an Epson 9600 that has been sitting with dried up inks for years - between running consecutive cleaning cycles versus an Initial Fill? Supposedly three clean cycles in a row is equivalent of an initial fill but I imagine they perform other functions as well.

Im wondering which is the best way to fill the printer with flush fluids when you can see residue and lots of air in the lines after it has been sitting for years unused.

I tried an initial fill already, did not suck any flush into the lines. Next I will replace dampers, but want to make sure I am taking the best approach.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan~

To fill your 7600 with PiezoFlush to try cleaning it out after sitting unused for years, you should install the set of flush carts and do an Initial Fill cycle. If the Init Fill didn’t fill the lines with flush, then you are likely dealing with a serious clog and need lots of cleaning. I recommend cleaning/replacing the capping station, flushing box, wiper blade, and cleaning the bottom of the print head.
You will need to replace the set of dampers, which will be filled with dried ink particles (don’t replace the dampers until you have flushed the lines, or else the new dampers will get filled with crud from the old ink in the lines). If the dampers are clogged and preventing you from purging the ink lines, then you may need to manually flush the lines by disconnecting the lines from the dampers (with new dampers on hand to instal after flushing the lines), and drawing flush thru the lines using a syringe. Also, when the dampers are disconnected from the print head, you can place a folded paper towel under the head (as per our desktop pinter maintenance video), and use our PiezoFlush print head cleaning kit to flush the micro-channels of your print head, before connecting the new dampers.

I hope this helps, I wish you the best of luck cleaning and getting your 7600 printing again.
~Dana :slight_smile: