Ultra HD Matte and HD Photo Black Inks

I’m ready to buy the newly formulated black inks, both MK and PK, for my Epson 4900. I see in the directions that “You should not pour these new black inks into a cartridge that currently contains our regular black inks.” and also that “These new black inks are fully compatible with both Epson and ConeColor Pro inks”.

Is the part about not using the existing MK and PK cartridges on the level of “for best results”, “strongly recommended” or “not under any circumstances”? I would rather not buy two new cartridges if I don’t have to but I certainly don’t want to cause any problems.

Thanks!

Only for best results. If you have an old cartridge that has seen a lot of life, I suggest getting a new one. If you are on a budget, dump out as much as possible and you can add the other ink in. I don’t suggest mixing the inks together fully in the cart though (like 1/2-1/2 or 1/3-2/3 that isn’t recommended).

:slight_smile:

all the best,
Walker

[QUOTE=walkerblackwell;12655]Only for best results. If you have an old cartridge that has seen a lot of life, I suggest getting a new one. If you are on a budget, dump out as much as possible and you can add the other ink in. I don’t suggest mixing the inks together fully in the cart though (like 1/2-1/2 or 1/3-2/3 that isn’t recommended).

:slight_smile:

all the best,
Walker[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your quick reply, Walker, new cartridges it is!

What is the reason for not mixing them? I still have black ink and thought I would be nice to try it now, rather than wait 6 months or more.

• Steve

It’s fine to mix in the ink lines. It’s fine to empty out the cart and put new ink in (as long as it’s photo black to photo black or matte black to matte black).

Just don’t mix half and half. You would be negating the benefits of the new inks and possibly introducing chemistry problems as these new carbons are very very different.

best,
Walker

Thanks @smidgley and @walkerblackwell–I had the same question and will get new cartridges for my 3880 as well. Will I be ok moving the OEM chip to the new cartridge (it’s in an Inkjetmall Black cartridge now, which I’ll replace with the cartridge sold as a bundle with the ink).
Best,
Steve

you’ll be ok.

all the best,
Walker