Solved: Printing on plain paper with Carbon inks & QTR?

Any suggestions on how I can get a reasonable print on plain paper? I’m using an Epson 1400 with Carbon inks and the Quad Tone RIP. While I mainly use this setup for my art prints on decent paper which I have profiles for, I’m currently trying to make paper negatives for use with historic printing processes.

I’ve tried adjusting the ink limits, all the way down to 50%, but the printer still dumps too much ink on the paper, and it created a solarized look in some areas. I’m not that techy, so creating a profile for plain paper is a bit beyond me.

I even tried the Epson print driver (I know, the Carbon inks are not in the right positions), and that put less ink on the paper, but gave me very flat prints.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a larger series of digital images in which I want to create paper negatives that I can make salt prints of. I’ve been told the 1400 and this ink system won’t print on transparency material, so I’m hoping to make these paper negs.

thanks,
Jim

Hi Jim~

All our Piezography curves were carefully designed for the specific inkjet papers they were made for, and I don’t expect any will give you good results on plain/uncoated paper. I just looked thru all the custom curves I have made for people using he 1400, though have not made any for uncoated papers that would work better for your plain paper needs than the curves you currently have. Ultimately- a custom curve would be your best bet and save you a great deal of ink, paper and time. You can read more and order a custom curve here (if you wish): http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/it.A/id.3682/.f?sc=15&category=-115#

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile:

Thanks, Dana. That makes sense. I was considering ordering a custom curve, but I’m still trying to determine which papers work best as waxed paper negs for the salt printing process. For now I’ll just need to go back to the Epson inks & driver until I can figure out my exact needs for this process.

Best,
Jim

Sounds like a plan Jim- please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with.

Best regards~ Dana :slight_smile: