Replacing OEM black with Ultra HD Matte on R3000

I’d like to replace the epson OEM matte black with the ultra HD matte on my R3000. Will I automatically be able to start printing and (once the new ink is flowing thru) be able to see increased dmax (depending on paper) using ABW?

Will I see better results with the QTR? Or will I need to create new profiles?

Yes, will will be able to just start printing.

You will see better results with QTR (right off the bat when the ink has reached the print-head). I doubt you’ll need new profiles.

Really? I can just put the Ultra HD into the cartridge and pop it in, no new profile required? That’s a pleasant surprise. I presume this applies equally to later model printers too. (In this case, a 4900.) This is with regular (Cone) color ink.

Generally speaking no new profile is required because of the way the color driver works (it actually underpants a lot of other color ink as well). This is always in the eye of the beholder though so, you know, check but verify.

We DO have new UHD ICC profiles for this printer here if you are going full CCpro (for those reading this thread who are): https://shop.inkjetmall.com/About/R3000-ConeColor-Pro-K3-Vivid-HD/

We do not have a 4900 to build new ICCs on but yes, the old CCPro ICCs should work just fine.

best,
Walker

Generally speaking no new profile is required because of the way the color driver works

Sounds like special spice in the sausage… :slight_smile: To be specific, this is the regular Epson driver?

We do not have a 4900 to build new ICCs on

Wouldn’t an ICC built on a 7900/9900 be identical? Or do I misunderstanding something here? Same paper, same ink, same head and same driver between the 9900 and 4900, right?

Most likely it would be identical but we have not verified.

best,
Walker

I followed the links and found new profiles for 7900/9900 using ConeColor with HD blacks. I presume those would be the best to use in the absence of something built specifically for 4900? Seems like it would be better than the Epson profiles that don’t know anything about HD blacks, which is what I’m using now. I’m not trying to be ultimately accurate, just as good as reasonable.